mtbr member

New YBB Slider? How do I know?

I love my YBBs. As the full squish bikes around me go through their aging pains and begin to creak, pop, and need new air sleeves, bearing kits, rear triangles etc.- I just drop oil on the YBB slider and keep the miles coming.

But the SS has recently started to clunk a bit. Mostly on stutter bumps when braking.

My question- When is it absolutely time to replace the slider? I'd like to wait a bit beyond these first clunks to get more life out of them.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The only time mine ever clunked was due to the spring being broken. The slider can get really scored up B4 it needs changing - if it's starting to look distorted though maybe you're having some binding going on. Post a pic for a more informed answer!

mtbr member
    Broke a YBB spring? You're not supposed to use it as a baja car strut. Sheesh.

No photo- no patience or time right now.

I've seen the divots they get. This is my third YBB and your points are well taken. I've rotated the slider 90d every now and then so that the wear gets spread out to other areas.

As far as I can tell- no binding but that's a thought I've never considered. All appropriate parts are clean and well cared for.

One idea I had today while climbing on the SS- perhaps the lockout collar was a bit looser than need be? So I ever so carefully tightened it just a bit- still no obvious binding. Hopefully just took up some of the gap.
    Much of the clunk is gone. Perhaps I can eeek out the summer Before dropping in the YBB replacemt kit.

Thanks for your help. Anything else to add? I'll be listening.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    if you completely remove your ybb slider (nothing more than a titanium tubing blank), you can flip it around and get another cycle out of it. it only really wears in one spot.
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.