XT shifters-08
    XT shadow front and rear der.-08
    Juicy ultimate brakes- 160mm
    King headset
    Salsa carbon pro-moto bar w/ ODI ruffian lock ons
    Hutchinson Python 2.1 tubeless tires- Stans setup
    Salsa collar and skewers
    My old favorite 1980s XT platform pedals w/ Powergrips on them

Full review to follow after a few rides. So far, this thing is outperforming all expectations I had for the bike. Very fast- very,very smooth!

I placed an add for my Mootaineer frame here if that tells you anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    very nice! Howz it perform on the dirt?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My only ride was on hard pack river trail with few bumps here and there. This bike makes it all smooth!

mtbr member
    You need to switch to Fox fork, it will ride even better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sweet looking bike! Let us know how it rides.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by poff
    You need to switch to Fox fork, it will ride even better.
    How many miles do you have on each fork? Just curious how you came to your conclusion.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    I ride 200-250 dirt mi per week and has had reba first on my mooto x (changed to WB) and then on titus RX 29er (changed to FOX). So I would say 3K on reba and 2K on the fox and even more on WB. IMHO reba is garbage.

In FTF We Trust
    Sounds like you definately have a clear basis for your preference. I have a White on my Strong 29 hardtail and a Rebas on my Vicious Groover 29 fs and my Ventana El Comandante but haven't had a chance to ride a Fox yet. I've been tempted to pick one up but now that I've seen the next generation of the Reba I may wait and see how those turn out.

The "Reba is garbage" comment may be a little strong; I've been pretty happy with mine, but then again I just may not know what I'm missing. Thanks for the input.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    I ride 200-250 dirt mi per week....
    Really?

That's some pretty serious dirt miles.

Do you have a job too?

Impressed.

LP

mtbr member
    Ride my bike to work + extra rides. WRT reba - if you weigh < 170lbs you may not notice all the downsides, but if you weigh more than its flimsiness and sloppy handling will be evident. Fox is stiff and has crisp handling. I even got rid of the WB, which was too sticky. Just my 2c.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ride my bike to work + extra rides. WRT reba - if you weigh < 170lbs you may not notice all the downsides, but if you weigh more than its flimsiness and sloppy handling will be evident. Fox is stiff and has crisp handling. I even got rid of the WB, which was too sticky. Just my 2c.
    Never tried one myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Reba. IMO, just because it's a Fox fork doesn't mean it's a better fork than another. Everyone rides differently and has different purpose of riding. However, since you claim to ride 200~250 DIRT miles per week, I guess everyone should listen to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBike
    Never tried one myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Reba. IMO, just because it's a Fox fork doesn't mean it's a better fork than another. Everyone rides differently and has different purpose of riding. However, since you claim to ride 200~250 DIRT miles per week, I guess everyone should listen to you.
    Get whatever you want I am not holding your hand and I am not asking to listen to me. As you can see from my post performance has nothing to do with fox name. I like WB forks as well. I do not like reba, it is my opinion and I stick with it. If you want to pick up a fight go to the 29er forum and pick it up there, you will find plenty of opinions on reba vs fox where reba defenders point out better "price/performance" for reba. I personally do not care about this price/performance thing and would rather enjoy riding my moots bikes then trying to convince you of something. Cheers.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Nice Stable...

What size is your Vamoots?

LP

mtbr member
    55 regular. BTW, here is a newer picture of it.
    Last edited by poff; 05-05-2008 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey Poff- I was going to upgrade to a White Brothers next month. I got the Reba for $200. My old CX-80? (I can't remember) that I had on my first 2001 YBB Mooto-X was very nice. It was the nicest fork I have ridden to date other than my Talas. Do you really think the Fox will be better? Would you elaborate for me? I do weigh 200 ish and ride like a bulldozer. I wouldn't mind the stiffness factor.

mtbr member
    I have not ridden the 2008 WB, but the 2006-07 model that I had was mixed - IMV worked fine but fork was very sticky, so even with low air it was riding almost like rigid. However it was light and stiff (I used 80mm version). Also, it had lower axel to crown length than most forks. The Fox I have on mooto x now is G2 version (comes stock on gary fishers) and it changed the handling of my mooto - it is way better. Bike is very responsive and turns like on rails. Fox is much plusher and it is as stiff (may be even stiffer) than WB. I do miss IMV though. If you want to go WB root than get 110mm version - it has the same crown to axel length as fox and reba.

mtbr member
    I want to get an updated ride report. How does the Mooto XZ climb? descend?

What about the steep headtube angle?

I have a Mooto XZ on order that an insurance company purchased for me. I was curious about spec'ing it out. I have read bad things about the Reba so I think I'm gonna go with the Fox.
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any updates on the ride? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on of these. Thx!!

Grams Light Bikes
    Here is my build on my new Mooto-XZ. One very sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Resting at lake Tahoe.