Thread: New Mooto XZ

Too many Sedonuts...

New Mooto XZ

So I sold my SC Blur last month thinking it was time for new ride, not sure of what I wanted, other than it would have 29 inch wheels. Way back in the day I always wanted a Moots hardtail...then the planets aligned and this happened:

The wheels/tires are loaners from a friend until I get mine built. Getting blue Hopes laced to Arches.

Other than the frame, fork, wheelset, and shiny new Deus crankset and XT front derailler, everything is off my old Blur:

20" Mooto XZ
    XO twist shifters/rear derailler
    Thompson basics
    WTB SIlverado saddle
    Easton Monkeybar 25.4
    Hope Mono Minis, 7 in front, 6 in rear.
    Fox RP23
    Fox F29 100mm

Thinking I'll go with a Rampage on the front and a Small Block 8 on the rear, since that's what all the cool kids are doing around here.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    very nice bike. How do you like it? I'm thinking about getting rid of my titus and SX to simplify my life. Please let us know what you think about your new ride.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Very nice!

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by homey
    very nice bike. How do you like it? I'm thinking about getting rid of my titus and SX to simplify my life. Please let us know what you think about your new ride.
    After about 30 miles on it on mostly rocky, dusty, sandy AZ trails, there is definately a "feel" to it I can't describe, so I won't. But it's nice.

But I can compare it to the other bikes I demoed or own, so starting with the demos:

RIP9 - too squishy, flexy.
    El Rey - too big (21") and tank-ish. Heavy.
    Specialized Stumpy 29er - too flexy, weird head angle or something.

Prior to this purchase, my 2 main rides were an 04 SC Blur and an 06 SC Nomad. All Air shocks on both, Fox Forks (F100 and 36) and built light. For referene, I'm 6'4", 220 lbs. and running a 110mm, 5 degree rise stem on the Moots.

The Moots seems to bridge the gap better. For an XC bike, it handles way better than the Blur. It is quick, but doesn't get twitchy at speed and "rides the flow" better, more like my Nomad but not so lumbering. It is also seemingly faster, meaning I can get on the cranks and it takes off like a rocket without any squishyness in the bottom bracket area. My Blur was fast, but I always felt like there was more to be had, efficiency wise.

The rear suspension does not feel as "deep" as the Blur...feels like about an inch less travel, even though it's only 15mm less, and that's with the big wheels too.

What I really like is the position on the bike. I was thinking about a set-back seat post to stretch me out more, but I think I like it where it is. I'm more of top of the pedals, and still somewhat upright. Great climbing position, but doesn't seem to compromise my decending position. Amazing. I also noticed after 2.5 hours on it yesterday, no back or neck aches as was common on the other bikes.

In short, it seems to have some of the advantages of the Blur (speed, weight) and the Nomad (handling) without some of the disadvantages. (twitchiness/squishyness of the Blur and weight of the Nomad) And of course, it has 29 inch wheels. Awesome.

Then there is the x-factor...must be the titanium, but it just feels more solid yet compliant. Could be anything, tires, rims, suspension set-up, but for now I like to think of it as that magic titanium ride I've always head about.

mtbr member
    Thats one sweet ride. I have one on the way and I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Do you know the weight???
    Truffle Shuffle

bi-winning
    Every Moots I see looks just awesome. Yours is no exception.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I have the Xz 29er and I LOVE it! This bike is the BOMB! I have mine built up with a mix of SRAM XO and XTR with Easton bits. It comes in at 25.7lbs.

I was in the pain cave and I had dropped the flashlight, so it was pretty dark at that point. I was just hanging on.

Grams Light Bikes
    Sweet bike. I will have a long term review shortly on my Mooto-XZ in the ProReviews section.

Here is my baby (still missing the rear upper rocker Ti blue bolts).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    Thats one sweet ride. I have one on the way and I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Do you know the weight???
    As is, right at 28 pounds. That is with tubes on 28mm WTB rims with the old Spec 2.3 Resolutions. Optimistically, I'm hoping for a pound-ish savings with tubeless Rampages/Flows. May do a SB8 on the rear.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Gram....What kinda cable housings
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

Grams Light Bikes
    Those are Sram Pit-Stop Flak Jacket shifter cable set and the Magura's are their braided hydraulic brake housing.

mtbr member
    Cactus or Gram... Do you know if the Fox fork clears the downtube without the extended King race??? The Cactus has one installed, but I would rather not unless its needed. Thanks
    Last edited by cavitykilla; 08-02-2008 at 08:55 AM.
    Truffle Shuffle

Grams Light Bikes
    With the normal headset If you turn it to the right it does get stopped by the adjuster on the top of the fork. In only one crash have I had it hit that spot. I wouldn't want to change the steering to componsate for that rare issue. Let me check with another Mooto-XZ owner and see what they did.

Grams Light Bikes
    Spoke with my friend. He said that he always uses the taller baseplate on the Mooto-XZ. So I ordered one myself. The 'tall Chris King baseplate' which is 5mm taller.