Thread: New Mooto X

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004

New Mooto X

I just recieved a call from Wifey who said there was a box delivered to my house by the clowns in brown this afternoon. She also mentioned that said box is from Moots. I am assuming it is the much anticipated new Mooto X Rigid frame that I have been waiting for.

Thank you Jon and thank you Becky! I wish I could leave work right now and start building it up but it will have to wait until the work day is over. Damn the man!

This is my first titanium bike and I can’t wait to begin appreciating the silky smooth ride of ti. Is there any type of special thread preparation that I need to do for the bottom bracket. Anti-seize? All of my previous mtbs have been aluminum or scandium and I have just typically wrapped the bb threads in teflon tape with a little Phil Wood grease.

Any advice is appreciated and I will post pics of the build soon. I am excited to finally be a Moots owner!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorio

This is my first titanium bike and I can’t wait to begin appreciating the silky smooth ride of ti. Is there any type of special thread preparation that I need to do for the bottom bracket. Anti-seize? All of my previous mtbs have been aluminum or scandium and I have just typically wrapped the bb threads in teflon tape with a little Phil Wood grease.
    The shell will come faced/chased.
    Just use a liberal amount of ti prep (anti-seize) instead of grease and you will be golden.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the info Dicky and congratulations on your multiple 6's this past weekend.

The build has begun.........pics soon, maybe tomorrow if it is still raining and slow at work.

Category Winner
    Look forward to seeing it.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Pics?
    Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004

New Moots!

I have three rides on the new Mooto X Rigid Slider SS. The Ti ride is way better than I expected. The bike just feels silky smooth. It also has a very solid quality about the ride and is stiff where it needs to be. Wish I could have gotten a Moots sooner, great bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice. Maybe one day i will have a Moots. How are those sliders working for you?
    Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004
    The sliders are working great so far, no issues whatsoever. This is my first experience with sliders and they were easy to set up and adjust, quite simple actually. I am coming from a Niner One Nine and have had two different eccentric bottom brackets. The first being the old "set screw style" and the new "Bio Centric" bottom bracket that Niner has begun using on their newer SS frames. Neither style seemed to work well for me, maybe the Bio Centric would have worked better with a new frame that had not been put through the paces with the the old set screw style, I dunno.

Anyway, the Niner One Nine is a good bike, light and fast, but really doesn't compare to the ride or quality of the Moots. Riding the Moots is a totally different experience, solid, smooth and for me, more comfortable (assuming a hard tail SS on our rooty, rock strewn terrain can be termed comfy). I really can't see riding any other frame from now on, I am spoiled.

My recommendation: Get a Moots as soon as you can. Do what ever it takes. Sell something ( your car for instance), get a 2nd and or a 3rd mortgage, put off tuition for another year, cash in your 401K, ask your wife to get a second job; whatever, if you ride, and love riding, it will be worth it! And you will love riding that much more once you are on a Moots.

A Real Winner.
    Awesome bike! We're twinsies
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

Category Winner
    Very nice.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hallo!how Much It Weight?

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004
    The weight on my Mooto X w/pedals and bottle cages is 23.3lbs. Obviously it could be lighter if I would man up and go fully rigid, but I am too much of a sissy to give up the 80mm of skill compensator on the front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Gregorio,
    Do you still have the Moots? How do you like the xtr cranks?
    I just ordered a Mooto X SS. Also what type of brakes are you using??

Wheels, etc??
    Would you do it all over again??

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BillD
    Gregorio,
    Do you still have the Moots? How do you like the xtr cranks?
    I just ordered a Mooto X SS. Also what type of brakes are you using??

Wheels, etc??
    Would you do it all over again??
    BillD, congratulations on ordering the best bike money can buy and yes I still have my Moots.

I like the xtr cranks they; are light enough, stiff and I really like the bearing pre-load adjustment on the M970.

I just installed new brakes, SRAM XX, still getting them set up properly after bleeding but I think I will like them okay.

Wheels.......I have Stan's 355 rims with Chris King hubs. Great combo for me.

It has taken a lot of saving to put this bike together, I have used parts from my previous SS to build it and then just swap parts as I have the money. I would definitely do it again, nothing compares to the ride of a Moots. The frame and wheels are where most of the money goes into a bike so if you put your money in something that is high quality and is going to last a long time you can just build on that for many years replacing certain components as needed.

Enjoy your new Moots!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just saw the 2011 XTR stuff so I'm going to hold off a few more weeks. Just getting a cheap single speed now until everything comes together.

I want to ride so bad so i figured this would be the best way then I don't get older bolt on's and wish later i didn't. I should have it on the trail by 1st week in Nov if all goes well.

What part of the country do you live?

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004
    I live in the Southeast. I primarily ride Monte Sano in Huntsville, AL; Racoon Mtn., Chilhowee and the Ocoee in Chattanooga, TN; and Dupont and Pisgah in North Carolina. Rooty and rocky and the Mooto-X hard tail treats me fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I live in Southern Delaware. Mostly flat here. I can't wait. If you ever make it up this way shoot me a email. b-dennis@comcast.net

metrotuned WoS
    That SS moots is bloody gorgeous. I see the gene pool is shared by the Colonel SS 29er by Dean.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

metrotuned WoS
    gregorio: Want!!!!
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout