mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Need your advice on a possible purchase..

I was in the market for a Zirkel, but I came across this bike. The seller originally asked for $3500, but has come down to $2600.

My questions are:

Looking at the pictures, does the bike look worth $2600?

Does anybody have anything negative to say about this bike?

Should I go with a Zirkel instead?

I know the 5th Element is obsolete, but I can get a Fox I believe.

Any reason(s) why I shouldn't buy this bike?

Thanks for the help....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need your advice on a possible purchase..-photo-6.jpg  

Need your advice on a possible purchase..-photo2.jpg  

Need your advice on a possible purchase..-photo3.jpg  

Need your advice on a possible purchase..-photo4.jpg  

Need your advice on a possible purchase..-photo5.jpg  

2011 Specialized Epic S-Works 29er

T.W.O.
    Get the Zirkel, of course it would cost you more but probably worth it. I don't know if I'd pay $2600 for a full ti smoothie with that built.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    had one (a full ti smoothie); frame is heavy considering it only has three inches of travel. not sure if a switchout of that 5th element to a fox won't require some new hardware from moots. the PUSH treatment on it is only valuable if you have the same rider weight as the rider the modification was done for. the aluminum rear is supposed to stiffen up the rear end laterally, but there were a few reports of rear triangle failures on this board. won't be cheap to replace the rear, although i'm sure moots can hook you up, if ever needed. never got full travel while running correct sag, and propedal was necessary to avoid pedal bob.

that build isn't really in the $2600 range. lots of smoothies on ebay this summer, none garnered that amount. i'd hold out for a zirkel (at that price), but do your research on those, too. depending on the build year, you can get a 3" travel or a 4" travel rear end.
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    totally confused on what smoothie build we're talking about now, too. the blend with the 5th element on top, or the full ti with the rp3?
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjn1014
    totally confused on what smoothie build we're talking about now, too. the blend with the 5th element on top, or the full ti with the rp3?
    Full Ti is mine, not the $2600 one, but I do agree that it was over priced at 2600. you can get the blend frame for a lot less than 1k, and still build it with good part still be cheaper than 2600.

Pushed shock does help with the travel as the smoothie is not easily bottom. My rear tri held up well not a problem.