mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Moots Ti Smoothie Frame Problems-Details

I'm looking at a used 2003 full Ti Moots Smoothie, and was wondering about the sometimes mentioned rear triangle problems. What year did Moots start correcting the design deficiency, and with what methods (extra bridgind/gussets etc). if i end up buying this frame, it'll be by photo inspection only, so what should i be looking for?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    OK I don't claim to be the ultimate authority on this but here are my recollections:

1) Frames occasionally cracked at the rear dropout apex of the 'seat' and chainstays - these were put down to fatboy abuse / shjt happens rather than a problem with the m-arc design.

2) Frames much more occasionally cracked at the join of the drive side chainstay to the lower pivot assembly. This is semi-officially recognised as being a weak spot in the design. If it cracks Moots has a history of helping owners out - the fix is a patch on the chainstay to beef things up and a small tube to cross brace the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think that the crack develops by over stressing the weld if you bottom out the travel too hard too many times. I have been on my Ti Smoothie for four years, and loged thousands of colorado singletrack miles with no problems. If the crack develops, Moots can fix the problem with a gusset, and it's stronger than new. I don't think this rumor should be a reason to not be on this bike. The Ti Smoothie is a great trail bike, climbs great, light, and quick, the best endurance racing trail bike I've ever owned. I love my TiSmoothie, and would recommend it to anyone looking for the ultimate all Ti full suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for the replies, i talked to moots yesterday, and was basically told to steer clear, unless it's a great deal (which it sort of is). the seller is going to take some close-ups for me. the bike does have the cross bar reinforcement between the chainstays, but i don't see a gusset. the current owner states he rides @ 155lb, and has been very forthcoming with info and pics so far. any other owners care to chime in?
    on an unrelated point, what size rear shock does a smoothie take (eye-to-eye/stroke)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjn1014
    thanks for the replies, i talked to moots yesterday, and was basically told to steer clear, unless it's a great deal (which it sort of is).

I got the same response from Moots re: the Smoothie.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

Spooooon!
    Moots actually told someone not to buy one of their frames? Either they are not too confident in their own work, or are wanting you to buy new from them instead of used on the secondary market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i wouldn't say that moots told me it was a complete and utter piece of sh*t, but the phrases "steer clear" and "unless it's a smokin deal". were spoken. i'm sure the 400 dollar cost to a second owner for welds/gussets/reblast had something to do with it. oh, and the buying a new one argument, too. what to do, what to do. it would be great if someone with a cracked smoothie chimed in. i will be potentially be buying this based on pictures, so it would be nice to know what to look out for (besides an obvious crack).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hmmn does sound a bit fishy Moots saying 'stay clear' my understanding was once they'd fixed it it was good. Moots has, unfortunately in my view, become a lot more corporate apres Kent both in product line and customer interaction. It's probably necessary from a sensible business point of view but means that secondhand cheapskates like you and I get short shrift. In the past I'd have had no problem buying a cracked Smoothie frame and trusting Moots to sort it out, now, not so much since it seems their hearts not in it as much. Shame - the Smoothie was the last great frame they made.

Is your weight an issue? i.e. are you north of say 200lb? If so then yeah maybe a burlier frame is a good idea. I'm 170 +/- and have an original unmolested Smoothie that's been well ridden with no cracks.

Was the repair to the frame you're considering performed by Moots? I thought a patch was SOP for the crack near the pivot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i'm 175lbs, and the previous owner stated he was in the 150's when he rode it. i live in michigan. if it did crack, i believe the cost of repair to a non-warrantied owner would be in the 400 range, plus shipping roundtrip to ss. i'm not sure if that covers reblasting the entire frame, or just the rear triangle (after welding). i'm waiting on the current owner for some pics. like i said, he's been very cool so far, but i doubt he has access to an x-ray machine, or an ultrasonic tester.
    as far as moots is concerned, i can't say anything bad about my phone conversation with them. dave (i think) was very matter-the-fact, and was very forthcoming with details. i'm sure if i had the same type questions for one of the big-boy companies, I would (1) not have a phone number to call (2) my email would sit unread in an inbox for two weeks (3) any problems inevitably would be blamed on improper use or lack of maintenance, with no blame whatsoever on the manufacturer. moots did say this was much more of a problem with the al smoothies, and although not a chronic problem with the ti smoothies, it did happen. at least they didn't blame it on hucking, or people being fatasses.

any other smoothie owners?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Haworth,

the frame i'm looking at is original (2003), with no repair done on it. it has the chainstay crossbracing, but no gussets. What are you running for a shock? If it's a Fox, what tuning setting is it?