mtbr member

Moots Smoothie frame price and opinions...what do you think?

looking at buying a newly refinished (from Moots) 2002 18" Smoothie with 5th element shock with 3" of travel. what is a fair price in your opinions? any opinions from current/former Smoothie owners. Hadn't planned on a Smoothie, really always thought I'd go with a YBB but if the price is right, I'd dig the FS. here is a pic:

Attached Images Attached Images
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Saw that one on the bay, I reckon someone will eventually spring the $1500 for it as it's fairly desirable since:
    a) all ti rather than the blend or Al version
    b) it's had all the weak spot issues upgraded

The shock isn't the best in the world - fine when it's working but a bit fragile - nothing you can't upgrade later. These are fairly rare since there weren't a ton made in the first place and most people that have them don't consider selling - I certainly wouldn't!

mtbr member
    signal, I've had my ti smoothie for five years, and ride the piss out of it. I've upgraded the shock to a RP-23, and I have the best of both world's. In pro-pedal mode, it climbs like my YBB, and is as smooth as silk in full float. Mine is built with full XTR, Moots post/stem and Mavis SLR's and weigh's in at 25#. I race endurance events, and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, and fast to boot.

Not Period Correct
    Jul 2008
    ouch!!!!

setting a beautiful titanium frame like that on craggy rocks!!!!!

that person should be sued for neglect.......

mtbr member
    well, it's a no go with this Smoothie unfortunately...the rear Ti triangle had previously cracked and was re-welded with an internal inserted gusset by Moots. Still on the hunt...
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Signal - the cracking in the rear triangle was a known issue with these frames, the fact it's been fixed and upgraded with the extra bracing tube across the chainstays is actually a good thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

depending on your pricepoint......

...Nelson currently make a frame (the Full-Nelson) that is the modern equivalent of the Smoothie - full Ti, no coke can rear ends. If something tragic happened to my Smoothie this is where I'd look.

http://ntpbikes.com/PRODUCTS/Products_FULL.html

mtbr member
    i have forever and a day wanted a Moots, since 1994 when my LBS was working on one and I said, wow, what's that. A Moots, best bike you'll ever ride, he replied. can't shake it so I'm holding out. I'm planning a visit next May to the factory just to torture myself a little more.
    Last edited by signalMTB; 09-17-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB