Thread: Moots Pricing

Spooooon!

Moots Pricing

I've been researching my next frame and was shocked to see how much of a jump Moots has had in their prices. I was looking at a Mooto-X YBB with sliders and a custom length seat tube. Here's the price I was quoted: $4,350. I couldn't believe that a Moots is now in the ballpark of a Jones (and the Jones includes a fork). Does anybody know why the Moots price is so much more than any other custom Ti builder? Eriksen is right aroung $3,000 for a full custom. Is the YBB really worth $1,300? I'm not slamming Moots, I'd love to own another, but when did they jump so much in price? Anybody know what the deal is here?

mtbr member
    I think it's 'cause Moots is producing far more "stock" bikes, and to toss in a custom costs more. Jones, and Kent just produce customs, and Jones i thought just speced them out for Merlin to produce. With your Moto-ybb/sliders you take a stock bike, add the expense of sliders, the expense of 29's, and then a custom seat tube, that all adds up, call jones, and Kent and ask for a quote for what you want and I bet the price they quote is close to what Moots will charge you.

Ps I just took possession of my new Gristle-ybb with sliders, well worth what i paid. I'm ready for SSWChamps next year in durango, you better get that mooto rig ordered, or it won't be ready for worlds.

mtbr member
    I had a Kent Eriksen hardtail frame built in March 2008 and it came in a little above the price of a custom Moots hardtail. I believe the custom Moots frame (through a local dealer) was around $2800-2900 and the Erkisen frame ended up around $3300. FWIW, Kent was great to talk to and was very helpful in the entire process, but especially when we were working out the design.
    Last edited by 251; 01-04-2009 at 08:09 PM.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Would love to hear the thoughts on the Gristle.

Spooooon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 251
    I had a Kent Eriksen hardtail frame built in March 2008 and it came in a little above the price of a custom Moots hardtail. I believe the custom Moots frame (through a local dealer) was around $2800-2900 and the Erkisen frame ended up around $3300. FWIW, Kent was great to talk to and was very helpful in the entire process, but especially when we were working out the design.
    I checked with Kent a while back and recently. He really is great to talk to and makes a great bike. I was comparing the jump in Moots price vs. other custom builders and Moots just seemed to have a much larger jump compared to the others.

mtbr member
    My thoughts on my new gristle will have to wait till the snow melts, here in steamboat we got 9inches overnight, time to hit the slopes. I'll report when spring,and dirt, returns to the trails.

mtbr member
    If a custom Moots YBB is that expensive, you HAVE to look into a Castellano/Potts Silk Ti. Less $$, more travel, welded by Potts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hmmmn yes that silk is lovely. Do you happen to recall the standover height? Thanks.

mtbr member
    31"-ish I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Haworth
    Hmmmn yes that silk is lovely. Do you happen to recall the standover height? Thanks.

rides with camera
    I live in Canada and am looking at a rigormootis and the price in canadian is around 3350 , it seems very expensive ! I could get a limited edition ibis mojo titanium for 2900 ! Is the moots worth the extra money ?

I don`t know what to do and am feeling a little confused
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    Here's the price I was quoted: $4,350.
    wow!!!

seriously look at the castellano silk ti.

also, i know you are looking at ti, but if alu is something you might be interested in...take a look at the siren song.

the tt/st junction on the silk is cleaner, but the siren song is a beautiful bike as well that can perform.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    The Silk Ti 29er' is priced at $3750
    If you happen to want it with sliders for SS or Rohloff add $475.

I just got this info from John Castellano few days ago so I guess it is very up to date..

mtbr member
    You thinkin of ordering one? If you are on the fence, allow me to push. It truely is an awesome bike. I kind of wish I put S&S couplers on mine so I could take it with me everywhere I fly.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy
    The Silk Ti 29er' is priced at $3750
    If you happen to want it with sliders for SS or Rohloff add $475.

I just got this info from John Castellano few days ago so I guess it is very up to date..