Thread: Moots Pricing

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Moots Pricing

I have a 16" Rigormootis. I love the bike, but I think the top tube might be a bit long for me, because I have to run a 70mm stem to make it fit. This is a great setup when descending, but going uphill, I've noticed that it's sometimes hard to keep the front wheel on the ground. Therefore, I'm considering a 14" frame.

I bought my frame used. It would be nice if I could find a good used 14" frame, but if I can't, I may have to look at a new frame. I've seen the list or msrp listed on many websites. Is that what people are actually paying for new Moots frames, or is it possible to deal at all?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I did a little calling around and found a dealer that would give me $200 off the list price of a frame. I won't name the dealer here, but I would like to hear from some of you as to whether you think this is a reasonable deal or not. Over 120 of you have read this, but no one has bothered to comment, and I'm sure some of you are Moots owners that might have some insight.

Drop in?... Anyone?
    There are no "deals" on Moots frames (as compared to other manufacturers).
    "Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy you a yacht and you can sail right up next to it!" David Lee Roth

Ride to the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by jckid
    I have a 16" Rigormootis. I love the bike, but I think the top tube might be a bit long for me, because I have to run a 70mm stem to make it fit. This is a great setup when descending, but going uphill, I've noticed that it's sometimes hard to keep the front wheel on the ground. Therefore, I'm considering a 14" frame.

I bought my frame used. It would be nice if I could find a good used 14" frame, but if I can't, I may have to look at a new frame. I've seen the list or msrp listed on many websites. Is that what people are actually paying for new Moots frames, or is it possible to deal at all?
    There's nothing wrong with a 70mm stem if that's what fits you. I trade out 110mm stems all day long. Especially if you're not racing.

I'm not sure your thinking is right on keeping the front wheel on the ground on climbs. See the illustrations. If you're bigger on a bike, (Smaller bike) it's easier to get your weight behind the rear axle. Note that it's pretty tough to wheelie on a huge bike.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

If your stem feels great everywhere else, but is "too short" for climbing, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to take up the 30-40mm of slack by bending your elbows a bit more instead of making the rest of your ride worse.

That said, having another Moots would be sweet.

---Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikeabout; 02-20-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Modified pic
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeabout
    There's nothing wrong with a 70mm stem if that's what fits you. I trade out 110mm stems all day long. Especially if you're not racing.

I'm not sure your thinking is right on keeping the front wheel on the ground on climbs. See the illustrations. If you're bigger on a bike, (Smaller bike) it's easier to get your weight behind the rear axle. Note that it's pretty tough to wheelie on a huge bike.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

If your stem feels great everywhere else, but is "too short" for climbing, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to take up the 30-40mm of slack by bending your elbows a bit more instead of making the rest of your ride worse.

That said, having another Moots would be sweet.

---Greg
    I agree with Greg. OTOH, if that size has you stretched out with the 70mm it may be too large for you. Have you ever had a bike fit from a qualified professional ?

Ride to the ride.
    I'm thinking: Smaller bike, easier to wheelie. Bigger bike, harder to wheelie. Are we thinking the same thing?

--Greg
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

mtbr member

As mentioned, there are no deals on moots, especially new.

Some questions:

Are you running a straight seatpost or setback?

Do you think your seat is in the correct position?

What is the rise of your stem, and if in the "up" Position, have you tried flipping it?

How tall are you and what is your inseam? We sold a 14"to a customer who was 5"1". That is a pretty small frame

Also as mentioned, have you had a professional and experienced fitter take a look at your position, not just the kid at the shop or your ride buddies?

I kow you are not specifically asking for fit advice, but these might be things to think about before you go through the expense in money, time, and effort of getting a new frame that "might" work better for you
    Ride Your Bicycle

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    effective top tube length may be playing a role. i think you will have more problems climbing with a smaller frame (shorter ETT). i have a 19" smoothie. i am 6'0". the stem is a 120mm. i have found the front tire hard to track while climbing at times, even when shifting weight distribution. i rode a cannondale with a longer ETT, 120mm stem. it was better at tracking (maintaining the line), inferior at everything else. i am going to try a 100mm zero rise, just to see what happens, on the smoothie.

i may be off, but i think that the correct length ETT, or the optimal one, is the first priority. you can fine tune the handling with playing with stem combos, length, rise, ect...

mtbr member

Moots Pricing

Ok heres the deal, if you want a custom made Ti frame made in USA you gotta pay for it. Can you get someone to take $100-200 off the cost? Perhaps. Keep in mind, Moots isnt outsourcing their frames to China. They're making them by hand in Steamboat Springs, Col. The money you spend directly pays for the employees salaries, health insurance, families, etc. These arent some mass produced frames where they just spit out a couple of hundred small, mediums and larges. You want custom Ti like this you gotta pay for it. If you're in the market for a Moots just buck up and get one. To complain about the cost and trying to nickel and diming the whole thing, thats like going out and buying a Hummer and then *****in' that it costs too much to put gas in it. Stupid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well to answer some of your questions, I'm not complaining about the cost of a new Moots, just trying to decide if I can afford a new one. Since I would probably need custom, I probably cannot. I've adjusted my saddle position, which has made the bike a little more comfortable and a little easier to climb. But I am still not happy with how going from a 9cm stem to a 7cm stem effected overall handling, I still think the top tube is too long, and with the seat tube being nearly 17.5" (and yes, it is considered a 16" frame--measurements were a little funny in 2004), I find that I don't have much standover clearance, which can be intimidating in sticky situations. I came really close to buying a different frame yesterday, but since it's not available for a few weeks, I have a little more time to think. I absolutely love the Moots and would hate to get rid of it, but it just doesn't have the perfect geometry for me. So we'll see, I'll make a decision soon. If money was no object, I'd just have a custom Moots built for me.

mtbr member
    Well to answer some of your questions, I'm not complaining about the cost of a new Moots, just trying to decide if I can afford a new one. Since I would probably need custom, I probably cannot. I've adjusted my saddle position, which has made the bike a little more comfortable and a little easier to climb. But I am still not happy with how going from a 9cm stem to a 7cm stem effected overall handling, I still think the top tube is too long, and with the seat tube being nearly 17.5" (and yes, it is considered a 16" frame--measurements were a little funny in 2004), I find that I don't have much standover clearance, which can be intimidating in sticky situations. I came really close to buying a different frame yesterday, but since it's not available for a few weeks, I have a little more time to think. I absolutely love the Moots and would hate to get rid of it, but it just doesn't have the perfect geometry for me. So we'll see, I'll make a decision soon. If money was no object, I'd just have a custom Moots built for me.
    Have you checked the geometry of other manufacturers? Every frame maker seems to have a slightly different preference for tube lengths of stock sizes. You might find one you like without having to go custom- if you have to have Ti you'll limit your choices big time.
    To the troll mobile, away...