mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Moots Open Road and Open Trail differences?

Does anyone here know what the differences are -- if any -- between the Open Road and the Open Trail stems? Just by looking at them one can't see ANYTHING different about them: they are 31.8 in the clamp, the faceplates seem identical, the specs are the same, and the price is the same.

I have one of these, but I'm dam*ed if I can figure out which one...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There is no difference what-so-ever besides the way Moots puts the stickers on. A negative rise for the road stem, and a positive rise for the MTB stem. Personnally, I built up a MTB with the open road stem because I like the look and fit of the drop and I didn't want my stickers upside down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammer107
    There is no difference what-so-ever besides the way Moots puts the stickers on. A negative rise for the road stem, and a positive rise for the MTB stem. Personnally, I built up a MTB with the open road stem because I like the look and fit of the drop and I didn't want my stickers upside down.
    Great, that is what I got to thinking too, since the description at Moots's website -- not to mention the appearance of them -- is the same.

Okay. Next question. If my bar clamp is 31.8, how can I use it with a 22 Moots bar without a bulge? Massive shim?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There are shims but they really don't look bad. They are noticable if you look for them but it doesn't bother me at all once installed. I can e-mail you a close-up when I get home tonight. (FYI, current Moots bars are 25.4 and the shims are designed to fit those)
    Last edited by Slammer107; 04-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammer107
    There are shims but they really don't look bad. They are noticable if you look for them but it doesn't bother me at all once installed. I can e-mail you a close-up when I get home tonight.

Hey, that would be great. I'd like to hear what bike you have and see how you've built it up.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammer107 View Post
    Old post I know, but for others doing the search, I wanted to correct what Slammer said. There is in fact differences between these 2 stems...the ovalized tubing is slightly different between the 2, the face plates are slightly different, and they're not the same stem with reversed stickers. In fact, they are welded such that the start and finishing bead are under the stem for both, so if you reverse an Open Trail, you'll see the bead starting point. Minor, yes, however, Moots takes great pride in their welding obviously, so just wanted to point out the slight differences. Both can be run an MTB.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB