Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Moots MX Divide Full Suspension 29er: Is it $5k

Is the new Moots MX Divide really 5k just for the frame? Really?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thats what my LBS told me. I went with a different Ti FS frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not everyone can afford a Bentley either.

mtbr member
    Yes. They will sell about five of this bikes, all of them going to a few hedge fund managers in Jackson Hole who will put in their offices to show off, next to their wine collections.... You are not likely to actually see this bike out on the trail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Yes. They will sell about five of this bikes, all of them going to a few hedge fund managers in Jackson Hole who will put in their offices to show off, next to their wine collections.... You are not likely to actually see this bike out on the trail...

They might get their PAs to ride the bike and get it dirty and scuffed up for some trail cred...

BTW - this thread is useless without pictures...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If they only sell a few, all the better for those elite it's that can afford them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll gladly pay $5K for it.........right after they stuff $2,000 in $20 bills into the seatpost tube.......

mtbr member
    Yawn........

mtbr member
    maybe once the structural integrity and linkage design are fully validated, I'd throw my order in...I mean, it's only money right?
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Does this frame take a 166q or narrower crankset?

mtbr member

New Moots

The bike design looks fresh and new. Very similar to other f/s bikes out there. Not that it has anything to do with how this bike actually performs (I'm sure there will be bike tests in mags this spring/summer) but I'm curious to check out the financials on this company to see how they are doing. Something is up. I dunno if its the over 8.5% unemployment stagnation we're in but to eliminate certain lines of bikes (Cinco) I'm curious. I own a Moots and love my bike. I'm not trying to stir up the pot. Something smells here though........

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    My struggle is the frame is a dated design. Exactly why does one need a titanium FS bike?

mtbr member

Moots

I think there are a couple of main reasons why anyone would want a f/s Ti bike. For starters, when you order a Moots they need a lot of body measurements from you. They basically are building the frame around your true body measurements. I've noticed a tremendous difference when riding my Cinco and then jumping on my friends Specialized Epic. Its night a day. My bike is 110% more comfortable. I can literally ride all day pretty hard and not feel like I have to go into traction the next day. We have similar set ups with suspension and the Moots is more plush. He's even said his next bike will be a hand made Ti bike. I think he might do a hardtail but he's changing to Ti. Second, your buying something that is hand made in the US unlike again, a cookie cutter Made in Taiwan, Small, Medium, Large frame bike. Nothing wrong with drinking Budweiser thats mass produced but don't more of us enjoy a really good micro brew over Bud? Finally, whats wrong with a little bling? Trust me, if you can afford it, I don't know anyone that will be laying on their death bed, staring at the ceiling saying to themselves, "gee I'm glad I never bought that Moots that I've always wanted." If you can afford it buy it. There is a difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1 View Post
    The bike design looks fresh and new. Very similar to other f/s bikes out there. Not that it has anything to do with how this bike actually performs (I'm sure there will be bike tests in mags this spring/summer) but I'm curious to check out the financials on this company to see how they are doing. Something is up. I dunno if its the over 8.5% unemployment stagnation we're in but to eliminate certain lines of bikes (Cinco) I'm curious. I own a Moots and love my bike. I'm not trying to stir up the pot. Something smells here though........

What smells? Moots is owned by someone with an eye for quality and someone who may or may not be worried about making tons of profit as long as the product is top notch.

The only thing that smells out at moots is their shoes. I can guarantee that nothing suspicious is involved in their finances. I'm not going to post where the money comes from, but I've met the owner, and know his story, and it's all on the up and up.

42t
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Moots can do some things that companies of similar size can't do, in part because of their ownership, but largely because they're disciplined. It's a good thing, folks. They're fine and thriving. The MX Divide is expensive. So are a lot of things you decide not to buy. Some lucky riders will enjoy these very much. Me, I like hardtails, so I don't need to worry about it.

Excellent passive-aggressive OP, though! Why change now after all these years?

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    I have been looking for my next bike for some time now.I really liked the SC Tallboy as I wanted a 4" travel,lightweight ride for all day adventures.Then,I saw this bike and started to drool a little from the corner of my mouth.Then I saw this thread and about had a stroke.Definitely a ride for the 1%'ers.
    Sure is pretty though....

@trailgrinder
    I wish this bike was 5k fully built up, then I would consider it. Hell I guess I could by the frame and sit on it for five years so my wife doesn't kill me if I built a 10k bike. Beautiful bike, I just wish it wasn't quite so pricey, unless it had an engine.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    An S-Works Stumjumper frame is $4400, an S-Works Epic frame is $5000. Should the Moots be cheaper than these mass produced frames?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac View Post
    An S-Works Stumjumper frame is $4400, an S-Works Epic frame is $5000. Should the Moots be cheaper than these mass produced frames?
    Depends entirely on how it rides. The most bling FS MTB is worthless if the suspension design and on trail performance isn't great.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Specialized bikes are stupid expensive.

COTA member
    Maybe I missed it, but how much rear travel is there? I see fork is 100mm.

COTA member

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Specialized bikes are stupid expensive.
    They have to be to pay the legal bills from seeing ex employees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but how much rear travel is there? I see fork is 100mm.
    Good match for a Lefty then. Personally I'm hoping for a 120mm Lefty, and a bike to match to it.

mtbr member

Moots

How much is this bike? I might upgrade and sell my Cinco. Totally worth it. To get a hand made Ti bike built around my frame made in the US. Where are Specialized and Cannondale frames actually made?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast