Thread: moots mtb stem

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

moots mtb stem

Does anyone know the stack height of a moots mtb two bolt face plate stem compared to a thomson and Hope stem. I gather it's longer but not sure of exact lengths.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I can measure it when I get home. I also have the new 4 bolt mtb stem meant for 31.8 gars.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    My Moots stem measured in at 49mm, my old Thomson came in at 40mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for going to the effort of doing that. The reason I ask is I'm 5 10" and ride medium mtb's but thinking of going up to large sizes to suit me better and as I gathered correctly the moots stem does have quite a large stack height. I wanted to check I was doing it right as my moots is also 49/50mm which if I change to a Thomson elite will give me another 9mm of height as I have already cut my forks down and only run a 10mm spacer.

Is there an engineering reason for different stack heights on stems? I gather the moots stem at nearly 50mm is quite long for a mtb stem?

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I measured my 4 bolt Moots MTB stem and it was 44mm, Moots is more constrained in fitting things together by the Ti tubing sizes, where as alloy stem manufacturers can make them whatever they want.