Hubs. Chris King QR15 Black/Chris King 142x12mm Black
    Headset: Chris King 44mm Black
    Stem: Moots Open Trail 90mm 6š
    Handlebar: Moots Custom 700mm 5š
    Seatpost: Moots Laidback
    Shifters: Sram XO Grip Shift Silver
    Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail
    Crankset: Shimano XTR 38/26
    Rotor Disc: Shimano XT Ice Tec (Six Bolts)
    Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-36
    Chain: Shimano XTR
    Front Deiralleur: Shimano XTR
    Rear Deiralleur: Sram XO Silver
    Seat: Fizik Gobi
    Tires: Maxxis Crossmark LUST
    Pedals: Shimano XTR
    Bootle Cage: King Cage Ti
    Last edited by voodood-jab; 08-03-2013 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    nice build! just out of curiosity what caused the necessity of the brace between the seat tube and top tube?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Need support for the shock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    just out of curiosity what caused the necessity of the brace between the seat tube and top tube?
    I was told by Michael @ Moots this strut ( as they call it) is standard on all YBB 29ers under 18". So this being a custom 16" and what I would be looking at--a stock 17", would have the the strut/brace/triangle thingy. He said it's for strength and rigidity.

Personally, it's kinda a deal breaker for me on the 17" YBB. I just don't really dig the look of it... no offense to the OP intended 'cause your bike is smokin" ! Maybe I'd get used to the look of it but on the other hand, spending that much coin...I'd want it to be pretty much how I want it to look from the get go.

I could go with the Mooto X or RSL which doesn't have the strut. Or just go with the 17" 650B Rogue, which also doesn't have the strut.

I'm considering going with a custom build, I'm at 5' 8" and short legs (28" floor to crotch in cycling shoes). Even the Moots guy said I wasn't really a candidate for their 29ers, at least the stock sizes. Not sure I'd want to pay the $575 Moots custom up charge, so again considering Potts , Ericksen or Kish..
    https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

'05 NY Steinway D
    Yamaha CP4
    Potts 29er
    Ellsworth Truth
    Litespeed Classic

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ah ok that makes sense.

Honestly the more I look at the OP's bike pics the more it's growing on me, gives the smooth curves a bit of toughness... I dig it.

I also completely agree with what your saying about getting what you want exactly when your spending this kind of money, I wouldn't compromise. I did ride the Rogue at a demo, it is a sweet sweet machine! (I ride a 19" RSL).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
    I was told by Michael @ Moots this strut ( as they call it) is standard on all YBB 29ers under 18". So this being a custom 16" and what I would be looking at--a stock 17", would have the the strut/brace/triangle thingy. He said it's for strength and rigidity.

Personally, it's kinda a deal breaker for me on the 17" YBB. I just don't really dig the look of it... no offense to the OP intended 'cause your bike is smokin" ! Maybe I'd get used to the look of it but on the other hand, spending that much coin...I'd want it to be pretty much how I want it to look from the get go.

I could go with the Mooto X or RSL which doesn't have the strut. Or just go with the 17" 650B Rogue, which also doesn't have the strut.

I'm considering going with a custom build, I'm at 5' 8" and short legs (28" floor to crotch in cycling shoes). Even the Moots guy said I wasn't really a candidate for their 29ers, at least the stock sizes. Not sure I'd want to pay the $575 Moots custom up charge, so again considering Potts , Ericksen or Kish..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Some pictures of this weekend

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

My YBB 29er

Took a leap into the world of 29ers having very little time on one. At first there was a bit of a learning curve. Going into my second year of riding in the rooty, rocky northeast I can't be happier. Climbing, bombing down rocky descents its all good. I'm toying with the idea of putting carbon wheels next season for some long distance racing. Would carbon wheels hold up to every day riding? Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ride everyday with this wheels (Enve+King+Marwi ti) and I donīt have any problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for your input voodood-jab, I'm looking to lighten up on rotational and carbon wheels seem to be the way to go. I'm running hope pro hubs on stans arch ex hoops with maxxis crossmark lust tires, pretty bombproof setup. Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    deleted
    Last edited by Dave Ferris; 01-23-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

'05 NY Steinway D
    Yamaha CP4
    Potts 29er
    Ellsworth Truth
    Litespeed Classic