mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ... Moots Mooto-X feedback......Mikesee or others????

Finally jumped on the 29er bandwagon this spring w/ an IF 29er SS after years of 4-5" travel 26" bikes. WOW what a ride and that is w/ the rigid IF fork as well. After a successful BrianHead 100 on the rigid 29er, I started thinking hard about a geared 29er. I live in the Park City area which has a decent amount of rough singletrack, some really rough, some really smooth. Given how much vertical we have to deal w/ I'd like to be light but also as comfy as possible.
    ? is, will the Mooto-X YBB take the 29er comfort closer to a 4" travel 26 XC rig? I know it only has an 1" or so of travel, but given how smoothly the big wheels roll, will this be a good way to go? I still hit Moab/Fruita/Gooseberry in the spring/fall so I don't want to be limited w/ the ride quality. I'll probbly run a WB fork, thinking of the 100mm air whenever its avail along w/ the Moots Layback post to help a bit as well. I also know a RX 29er(I've owned a 100mm RX last year) is avail but I really like the lack of extra parts/pivots etc...
    Also, Mike, I enjoyed reading your pieces on the GDR, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, great job!

Thanks again for the advice/input

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    I don't think anyone will claim that a mooto YBB will feel as cushy as a 4" travel FS 26"er. I came from 2 Titus RX's, and they are definately more cushy than a Mooto. However, you may not need that much cush per se. I like it enough to go back. At the risk of upsetting some nameless folk, I'll post my last mooto....new mooto will hopefully be posted within a week -- 10 days.

Edit Cloxxki : Weren't you on a 3-pics-per post diet? ;-) Some of us are still on dial-up or similarly slow connections... I already wondered why it took me a day of trying get this topic open.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New to the Moots

I haven't had mine a long time but what I've ridden I love. With the Moots theres responsive feel that my 293 lacks. The moots is also 2" or so shorter so I can't bomb down hills quite as fast as I can with the Fisher. I have to pick lines a little more carefully but not like I would on a hardtail.

The biggest advantage over a full susser is that the acceleration feels explosive in comparison. So bottom line IMO is that the Moots has the great acceleration of the hardtail but not the harsh ride. Kinda like a Caddy compared to a Porche. I live in AZ - LOTS of rocks and I really like the way the moots handles it. I'd like to try the RX with the 5th element someday to compare but then you have to consider the weight of the Moots compared to the RX or any full susser - 4.25lbs for the Mooto! Mine with a Rigid Ti fork, superlight tubes and SS was 21.5lbs. If you plan to race, Moots is probably the best choice but definitely not the cheapest at 2650 a pop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

thanks for the input...

Tbone - in AZ what are you running for rubber in the rocky deserty terrain? Does the Mooto have a decent amount of clearance for the WTB 2.1 Moto's? Do you think the new 2.3 WTB 29er tire could fit? and lastly, any negatives w/ the Mooto YBB at all? Getting real close to making the call to Moots to get a frame coming.....
    Cheers,
    D

This place needs an enema

Mooto-X

The Mooto has good clearance for a 2.1 or even a 2.2, but I don't think I could squeeze a 2.3 into mine and still have mud/****/snow clearance. As you noted above, there's nothing to break or wear (pivots), so maintenance is not something you'll do often. I've got about 4k miles on mine this year, and I've had to relube the spring/sleeve twice bcause it had started to squeak. That's it. It tracks the terrain really well, and as Tbone noted it accelerates like none other.

I use the Mooto as my race bike and my Lenz as my fun/play bike, and there are two big differences that I notice every time I'm on them--the Lenz descends much better (because of the 3" of rear travel) and the Moots climbs way faster (because of the lack of travel to overcome, among other things). Weight is only about a pound difference between the frames, so that's not too much of a factor.

Based on where you live, I'd vote for the Mooto, but based on where you like to travel to ride(Moab/Fruita/Gooseberry, etc...) I'd vote for the Lenz. If you're used to bombing the alpine descents in your backyard on a 4" travel bike, I'd think you'd be disappointed in the 1" travel of the Moots. Likewise, if you're into playing (drops, techy moves, etc...) in Moab etc... and pushing yourself a bit, the Moots would not be the first choice. You need to decide which compromises to make. If you want a climb all day, climb every techy move along the way kind of bike, and you aren't super-crazy aggressive on the descents, the Moots is your bike. Since you mentioned that you'd prefer a 100mm travel fork, I'd also lean toward the Lenz. I wouldn't consider putting a 100mm fork on the Moots.

My personal opinion is that these bikes are complimentary, and one shouldn't choose between them--one should choose both...!

Pics of my bikes, built for very different purposes, below.

Bottom line is that we should all be so lucky as to face the decision that you have in front of you!

Good luck.

MC
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Mike, quick ? for you

you look about the same build as me 5'10 - 5'11 or so w/ 32.5 inseam. are you on the 18" or did you pop for the custom? In talking w/ Dan @ Moots it sounds like the seattube is @ 21" ctr-top, this would only leave me w/ 6" of post exposed, would you mind sharing the size info. thanks a ton
    He's pretty sure a 18" would fit fine as it has a 23" toptube which is what I'm using on all my other rigs.
    Cheers,
    D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You two are built similar

Darek,

You and Mike are of similar stature, close to my height, but shorter legs. You should be fine on the 18" Moots. But come try my RX before you buy.

JT

This place needs an enema

Yup

I'm 5'10" with a 32.5" inseam. Mine is an 18"--see photo. Probably close to 8" of post sticking out--way more than enough give in the ti post to take the edge off and standover is not a problem.

MC
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a YBB 26er and found it was a 90% perfect bike for the type of riding I do. The thing that lead me to sell it was lateral flex in the rear end (and of course I'm now aware that the wheels were obviously too small). I like to rail the turns, and found there was so much flex going on I could feel it in my hips - a very strange phenomenon. I only weigh 160 pounds. Any comments on rear end flex on the YBB 29er?

Seven's take on the softtail design is to add the complexity of a pivot - but I can't help but wonder if this helps restrict/direct the travel of the bike in the vertical plane where you want it, instead of letting the bike flex laterally, where it effects the handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    Finally jumped on the 29er bandwagon this spring w/ an IF 29er SS after years of 4-5" travel 26" bikes. WOW what a ride and that is w/ the rigid IF fork as well. After a successful BrianHead 100 on the rigid 29er, I started thinking hard about a geared 29er. I live in the Park City area which has a decent amount of rough singletrack, some really rough, some really smooth. Given how much vertical we have to deal w/ I'd like to be light but also as comfy as possible.
    ? is, will the Mooto-X YBB take the 29er comfort closer to a 4" travel 26 XC rig? I know it only has an 1" or so of travel, but given how smoothly the big wheels roll, will this be a good way to go? I still hit Moab/Fruita/Gooseberry in the spring/fall so I don't want to be limited w/ the ride quality. I'll probbly run a WB fork, thinking of the 100mm air whenever its avail along w/ the Moots Layback post to help a bit as well. I also know a RX 29er(I've owned a 100mm RX last year) is avail but I really like the lack of extra parts/pivots etc...
    Also, Mike, I enjoyed reading your pieces on the GDR, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, great job!