mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Moots Cinco, what's it good for?

What kind of riding is your Cinco best for?

I am new to Moots. I have a used Cinco on the way. (Impulse buy on eBay)
    I currently have a 2005 Stumpjumper that I like for reference. I am hoping for something great for long singletrack rides as well as trips to Moab and possibly Peru.

I am also planning on the BC Bike race, but may need something more race
    specific for that.

El Mas Chingon
    Everything
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

mtbr member

Cinco

What is it good for? I think the question should be "what isnt it good for." If your looking to do some stage races and epic rides then the bike is perfect. I've raced on mine and of course done too many to count epic rides. If there was just one arrow in my quiver that I could choose the Cinco is it hands down. The only time I even use my other bike (Specialized Hard Tail) is when for whatever reason my Cinco is in the shop which has been rare.

The bike is simply "The One."

mtbr member
    Hi Guys,

Any chance MOOTS can make a Cinco in a 29er? I love the looks of the sloping top tube.

Beautiful bike.

mtbr member

Cinco 29'r

I'm 99% sure they can/would. I would simply call them directly, ask to speak to Dave D. in sales. Fantastic bikes they make.

mtbr member
    Best bike ever

Good for absolutely everything

The biggest smile you could possibly have whilst riding a bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moots Cinco, what's it good for?-dscn2182.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    what's with the multicolored spacers?

mtbr member
    Maybe Rainbow striped spacers = world champion quality ride?

mtbr member
    exactly

I thought it looked kind of cool as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moots Cinco, what's it good for?-dscn2085.jpg  

Geordie biker
    nice moots!
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm curious about this bike. I've been thinking about getting a YBB (see thread regarding the YBB ride). Then last weekend I demo'd a Specialized Epic full suspension bike -- excellent ride in a lightweight package -- about 23 pounds off the shelf. But I would prefer titanium over carbon, and Moots over Specialized. So I'd like to hear more about the Cinco ride. Weight isn't the most important factor, but it's the easiest to compare -- so how much does your Cinco weigh? Any bobbing while climbing? How plush is the ride? Thanks in advance for your responses...

OCDirt

mtbr member

Cinco Update

I cant say for sure what my bike weighs right now. Its pretty light. I can tell you it is by far the best bike I've ever had. I have a Specialized hardtail, Santa Cruz Blur and an old Gary Fisher I cant even think of the name of it. The Cinco is just a dream to ride. I see zero bob when climbing. The bike simply tackles anything and everything you can throw at it. It a bullet on the downhills. Superfast in the tight single track. You add 5 inches of travel along with the feel of titanium and its simply perfection. A good friend of mine who was a fanatic about all the new rage in carbon bikes has already ordered a Moots after riding mine. Some people have said about the Cinco that the frame is made of titanium but the rear made by Ventana is actually aluminum. True but again, everyone that has tested my bike said its the best bike they've ever ridden and no one wants to get off of it. I literally have to prye the bike back. I think the best way to sum this bike up, its almost a crossbreed of a Lexus and a BMW. It can be silky smooth in the bumps like a Lexus but it can be nimble and quick in the short tight singletrack with incredible feel of the trail, like a BMW. Its really the best of both worlds all around. In my opinion, the best investment I have ever made and I wouldnt regret the decision I made in spending the money I spent on this frame. Finally if it matters to you, the money you spend on this bike is going to an American company, small microbrew shop of really great people in Steamboat Colorado. I'd rather invest and give my money to something like that rather than just another cookie cutter full suspension carbon bike that came out of Taiwan. That's only my opinion. Best of luck to you with your decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    skibum1 -- glad you love your bike! Don't think I need 5" of rear suspension for my conservative style of riding -- probably 3-4" would be plenty for me, so perhaps the Moots Zirkel would be a better choice (?). The other issue is finding a demo -- the Moots dealers in my area don't offer this -- bummer.

OCDirt

mtbr member

Cinco

The Zirkel is a great ride. I feel your pain on not being able to demo too. I was in the same boat. I managed to test a Ventana and loved that bike. I went with the Cinco because I looked at it as a long term investment. I had 3-4 inch travel rides and felt getting older I wanted more of an epic ride type bike. The Zirkel is fast and furious, much more race ready however the Cinco would go head to head with it. Dont know your riding style or what your looking to get out of it. However, I just wanted something that I could grow into for many years and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it. Dont know where you live but other than maybe in AZ or other western states I really dont know where you can test ride one. In either case the Zirkel is a mighty fine ride as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can anyone here directly compare this to a Mojo SL? I've been looking but only found a thread from 2006 that didn't really answer the question. I have a Moots road bike, and would love to add another, but the ride of that Mojo was magical, and I have little chance at demoing a Moots Cinco.

mtbr member
    I actually faced the same choice. I rode a Mojo SL locally from a dealer and loved it!

Either way (Moots vs. Ibis) was a bit of cash, so I wasnt going to buy a new one each year. So for me it came down to life-span.

Whilst I have a few friends riding carbon Stumpy's and Trek's I just couldnt see myself riding a carbin bike in 10 years time ... where I could see myself riding Ti. So that was the deciding factor for me.

I'm stoked with the Cinco, its actually very easy to clean and good to ride. So I think I made the right choice. But it was a bit nerve racking buying a bike unseen, unridden.

If you were in my neck of the woods, I'd be more than happy to give you ride, but finding one you might be able to try can be difficult.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    yeah I agree with the above comments

The Cinco is a magical ride, and I expect the Mojo is as well

It comes down to which you prefer in terms of looks, longevity etc.

I've had a long list of 4 inch race ready bikes (Ellsworth truth, intense spider, santa superlight etc.) and I wanted something more plush and epic

The Cinco seems to have the plushness without any loss in acceleration or responsiveness

After nearly 2 years of riding it, it still brings a massive smile to my face everytime I hit some singletrack

Another factor for me was that everyone seems to be riding a Mojo in Marin, they're more common than a Marin Bobcat Trail. I guess that means they're good

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Have your shop give the guys at Moots a call, they usually have demo bikes that they are willing to ship out from their demo fleet if you want a test ride.