mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Moots Cinco Rear Triangle

I'm considering getting a Moots Cinco, does anyone know if the rear triangle is made of titanium?

Also, is there anyone who owns one running a 140mm fork? If there are, ho does it handle?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have one of the very first Cincos (ordered it in Jan. of '05 and took delivery of it in late March of '05), so I hope I can answer questions for you...

First, the rear triangle is not Ti, but aluminum. It is made by Ventana and is the same rear end that is used on a number of their bikes, including the X-5. Nice thing is, you can order parts from either Ventana or Moots for the rear end (bearings, derailleur hangers, etc.). Moots has discontinued the use of Ti for the rear ends of their full suspension designs (the Cinco, Zirkel and Mooto-XZ all use an aluminum rear end). I think the Ti rear ends were to flexy for the applications.

I am currently running a Rock Shox Revelation on my Cinco with 130mm of travel. The Cinco is designed to have 130-140mm of travel, so you shouldn't have any issues running a 140mm fork. 10mm difference from my fork (less than a 1/2 inch) shouldn't make a big difference in your handling (should be less than a 1/2 degree difference).

I love my Cinco, btw. It is an awesome ride that you don't see often and it handles like a dream. I do a bit of maintenence on it (keeping the pivots and what not clean) but it has not given me a bit of trouble in almost 4 years. Great bike!

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Moots Cinco runs a straightforward 5" Ventana aluminum rear end. You can get it with single or double row bearings, and even with Rohloff dropouts. The link is different, so you can't switch to the 5.5" that the current Ventana X-5 or Ciclon use.

The Cinco demo at my shop has a 100-140mm Fox Talas on it, and everyone that rides it leaves it in the 140 position all the time. The front end is steep enough that raising it and slacking the headtube slightly isn't a bad thing at all. Every Cinco that we have sold has gone out with an adjustable or a 140mm fork. I prefer the handling of this bike with a 140mm fork than my 5" 2008 Ventana El Ciclon with 140mm fork, because the steeper front end makes it a little more manuverable in tight fast situations,
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    "Moots has discontinued the use of Ti for the rear ends of their full suspension designs (the Cinco, Zirkel and Mooto-XZ all use an aluminum rear end). I think the Ti rear ends were to flexy for the applications."

I think production costs may also have been a factor in going to the Ventana rear end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo
    Moots Cinco runs a straightforward 5" Ventana aluminum rear end. You can get it with single or double row bearings, and even with Rohloff dropouts. The link is different, so you can't switch to the 5.5" that the current Ventana X-5 or Ciclon use.

The Cinco demo at my shop has a 100-140mm Fox Talas on it, and everyone that rides it leaves it in the 140 position all the time. The front end is steep enough that raising it and slacking the headtube slightly isn't a bad thing at all. Every Cinco that we have sold has gone out with an adjustable or a 140mm fork. I prefer the handling of this bike with a 140mm fork than my 5" 2008 Ventana El Ciclon with 140mm fork, because the steeper front end makes it a little more manuverable in tight fast situations,

Another datapoint: I am also using the Talas 100-140. I mostly leave it in the 120 position, but I use the other two positions frequently for longer ups and downs. I also ride a hardtail with an 80mm and an old rigid Yo Eddie, so jumping on a 140mm feels huge. I could easily get by with just the 120, but I'm not sure if I could clean the tight switchbacks as quickly on a 130.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    On the Mooto-XZ they went with Ti due to flex issues. And the Mooto-XZ are made by Sapa.

My old Mooto-XZ review...

"The front triangle is made from 3/2.5 grade titanium and the rear triangle is Sapa manufactured 6061 series aluminum. According to Moots a titanium rear triangle just doesn’t work very well, so they went with an aluminum rear end. "

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    'jet your review reflects what the MBaction says in their review of the Cinco, flex killed the Ti rear end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo
    Moots Cinco runs a straightforward 5" Ventana aluminum rear end. You can get it with single or double row bearings, and even with Rohloff dropouts. ,
    Cinco can fit with Rohloff speedhub? Can Zirkel fit with Rohloff 14 speedhub? please advice. Thanks

mtbr member
    Both the Cinco and the Zirkel can be ordered from Moots with the proper set up for a Rolhoff hub. Might be a pain if you don't order it from them this way.