mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Moots Cinco question

hello all.. looking to getting a new bike in a few mths, hence doing some research 1st, n the Cinco definitly caught my eyes ...

but something i dun quite understand: hving over 5in travel puts Cinco in the All Mountain Catagory, but the HA is pretty steep? more like HT or even racer 4in bikes ?

would any Cinco riders care to commend on tis?
    me also considering Nicolai Helius AM.. so any input from anyone with riding exp. on the 2 fine bike wld be moch appreaciated..

thanx all

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    We have one in our demo fleet at the shop, and I have spent a fair amount of time on it. It is a long travel trail bike that is very manuverable. I like that if feels quick and responsive, but blasts through rock gardens and root sections very easily.
    I ended up buying a Ventana El Ciclon for the lower price and same rear end, but have ridden the Cinco since, and really do love the lighter frame and quicker handling of the Cinco.
    If your bias is toward XC but want the travel, this is the perfect bike. If your bias is toward downhill and you want something lighter, this bike isn't quite as forgiving with its steeper head angle.
    I have never ridden the Nicolai, so I cannot comment on a direct comparison.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I pondered getting a Cinco because I like Ti.......but I bought a Ciclon because Ventana will make custom tweeks and not charge an arm for them. I just traded in my front triangle for a semi-custom Ciclon.....longer top tube and 2" down tube. If you want Ti and want custom might want to check out Kent Ericksen who also uses a Ventana rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thnx for the replys guys.. reasons i look at the Cinco is prob purely for the Ti factor.. Ti frame i like.. over 5in travel i like.. responsive for singletrack i like.. but nervous when pointed down IS a concern.. : guess i hv to look somemore n perhaps at Ventana?

anyway thanx guys

mtbr member
    Depends what you are after....

I have a Moots Cinco at 26 pounds which I ride all the time now..it compares very favorably to the race bikes I have.

I have also a race bike ellsworth truth and a carbon Storck hardtail...these are of course lighter, but the Moots is a bloody flying machine over rougher terrain.

I don't agree with this 'all mountain' thing anyway...thats just a trail bike isn't it? Build the Cinco light and it is a bloody flying machine on anything rough, perfect for most trail riding...I adore this bike, the first day I got on it felt like I had been riding it my whole life

I guess if you want a race bike, get a Moots Zirkel, or a new Gristle....but get the Cinco for any slightly more epic terrain, you will not regret it
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevethebrit
    Depends what you are after....

I have a Moots Cinco at 26 pounds which I ride all the time now..it compares very favorably to the race bikes I have.

I have also a race bike ellsworth truth and a carbon Storck hardtail...these are of course lighter, but the Moots is a bloody flying machine over rougher terrain.

I don't agree with this 'all mountain' thing anyway...thats just a trail bike isn't it? Build the Cinco light and it is a bloody flying machine on anything rough, perfect for most trail riding...I adore this bike, the first day I got on it felt like I had been riding it my whole life

I guess if you want a race bike, get a Moots Zirkel, or a new Gristle....but get the Cinco for any slightly more epic terrain, you will not regret it
    thanx for the input.. so how does it pedal ? any bobing when u mesh the pedal? does the steep head angle make decents nervous? i am comparing w bikes like the Ibis Mojo n SC BlurLT (which i am riding now).. DW n VPP... hmmm is it a valid comparision w Ti bikes like the Moots Cinco?

mtbr member
    All I can say is that I adore the Moots Cinco

I am a light rider myself 140 pounds and am used to 4 inch cross country bikes ( I have an ellsworth truth, intense spider, santa superlight etc.)

The Moots Cinco is the most assured bike i have ever ridden...it is a longer travel but still lightweight trail bike (26.5 pounds) . It handled the rough terrain such as around Lake Tahoe perfectly...It has a lock out on the shock ...one setting is for a propedal option which allows it to climb very well and then when switched to fully open it is very plush for technical downhill...i think the sag when the shock is open makes the head angle feel less steep, its the most assured bike i have ever ridden downhill and comes with the added assurance of bulletproof titanium. You do have to switch this propedal switch on the shock at the bottom and top of hills, as there is bob on climbs when the shock is left open, but it is excellent with the propedal at climbing.

The finish on the bike is the most beautiful I have seen, Moots build quality is stunning and it will last for years. And funnily since i got the Moots i have realised that everyone seems to love the brand...you get random people shouting out at you that they love Moots!

I am sure the santa blur LT is very nice (unfortunately my intense spider VPP fell apart so i am not a fan of VPP). And the Mojo looks amazing (not as cool as titanium in my opinion) but carbon on a trail bike?? I've had several carbon bikes and they won't be working 10 years down the line I don't think. I prefer the feel of a four bar linkage on a full suspension and i think are much more reliable than VPP, I'd have an ellsworth Moment or Ventana if I didn't have the Moots. the Cinco back end is made by Ventana..simply beautiful finish quality as well.

I can't recommend the Moots enough, there is nothing about it i don't like, and out of all my bikes I always go for the Moots , it is a joy to ride. My only caveat is that i am a light rider and it might not be perfect if you are looking for a hucking bike or something...it is a superfast trail bike which can cope with all terrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thnx so much for sharing ur exp. w the cinco.. pretty hard to find info on the bike anywhere..
    my last bike was a SJ Fsr and it absolutely needs propedal on the flats or the ride bobs to a point where it annoys..
    now let me see if i can get a test ride at my LBS..

thanx

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo731
    thnx for the replys guys.. reasons i look at the Cinco is prob purely for the Ti factor.. Ti frame i like.. over 5in travel i like.. responsive for singletrack i like.. but nervous when pointed down IS a concern.. : guess i hv to look somemore n perhaps at Ventana?

anyway thanx guys
    I love Moots bikes and rode a YBB for almost ten years. I love Ti. I now have a Titus Ti FTM. 5+ inches, 69.25 head angle and 5.75 lbs for a large including RP23. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    went down to my LBS to request for a quote on some customisation, seems they were not so keen to measure me.. asked me to try a S or a M from other bikes n take measurements from there.. emailed Moots abt to some quotes wks back, no reply...

probably take my money somewhere else ... Lynskey most likely, at least the local sales guy seems keen ..

mtbr member
    bobo, If you are serious about a Moots, give the factory a call at 970.879.1676, and tell them what you are after. While Lynskey's are Ti the welds are crap, and the quailty is not up to the level you'll get with a Moots. Take the time to get in touch with the Moots crew, and you'll get a top quailty ride that will last a lifetime and you will be proud to take out and ride. You can save some coin getting a lightspeed, or lynskey, but it wont be a MOOTS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    bobo, If you are serious about a Moots, give the factory a call at 970.879.1676, and tell them what you are after. While Lynskey's are Ti the welds are crap, and the quailty is not up to the level you'll get with a Moots. Take the time to get in touch with the Moots crew, and you'll get a top quailty ride that will last a lifetime and you will be proud to take out and ride. You can save some coin getting a lightspeed, or lynskey, but it wont be a MOOTS.
    thanx for the encouragement.. will do dat.
    fwiw my other option is to go for a AM Ti hardtail.. looking at Ragley Ti, Lynskey Ridgeline LT, On-one Ti456, and also the new Whyte 19 Ti. reasons being is dat they r specing at least for 120mm fork n also slacker HA, which i feel is better for me as i m more a relaxed trail rider than a racy aggro one..

can the YBB or Rigor take a 120mm fork? i m 5'9 short arms btw so the 17in will suit me...

cheers