mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Moots 2 bolt mtb stem, anyone upgrade the bolts?

Has anyone upgraded the bolts to Ti? I'm concerned about having ti and ti in contact or is it not a worry? Shouldn't they come stock with ti bolts as the originals look quite simple and heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by saga
    Has anyone upgraded the bolts to Ti? I'm concerned about having ti and ti in contact or is it not a worry? Shouldn't they come stock with ti bolts as the originals look quite simple and heavy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I run ti bolts on my moots stem. I don't know why Timo says you can't cos ya can! Just prep the bolts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    But what does Moots say about the matter. I'm still unsure of mounting ti bolts to ti products due to the conductivity of the two metals bonding to each other. Anyone care to put my mind at rest who is from Moots?

Grams Light Bikes
    Been using Ti on Ti for years without any issues. Just make sure to use an anti-seize lube and you are good to go. Issues with galling are more app to happen when you dissimilar metals.

I went with a Blue colored Ti bolts on my 2 bolt Moots stem.

I will ping my Moots buds for an official word, but last year at the Media event in the Summer I pointed out my Blue Ti bolts and they thought they were cool. I replaced all the bolts that I could on my Mooto-XZ with Ti.

mtbr member
    I was runing Ti bolts in my older style stem, and seatpost for years with no problems, just use anti-sieze. The new open style stems should not be used with ti bolts. I also replaced all the YBB related bolts on my frame,and h2o cage with Ti, and have never had any problems. i rode that frame for years without changing cages/hardware, recently I removed all the Ti hardware to sell the frame, and had no problems with Ti bolts that had been in place, untouched for 5+ years.

Grams Light Bikes
    I asked Moots

"Any issues or concerns with using Ti bolts on either the 4 bolt face plate Open stems (road and trail) or the 2 bolt design? "

and Brad responded with

"Hi Brian, yes there is an issue with ti bolts in the titanium stem. If using them they should be frequently checked and have a generous coat of anti-seize applied at regular intervals. Galling or seizing is common, that is the reason Moots specís the 12.9 alloy steel bolts that come with all the stems, they have a surface hardness that will resist galling."

So that is Moots answer from their head designer! Thanks Brad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Pastajet or anyone who may know do you know the specs of the 2 bolt design bolts? M6 20mm? and the one's on the back of the stem? My bike is at my parents house so can't check and want to order replacement ti bolts even though moots say be careful. So if anyone knows and could post that would be great.

Grams Light Bikes
    Front stem HH M6x18 - 2
    Rear stem HH M5x16 - 2

HH is hex head

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Pastajet do you have a picture of your moots stem with the blue ti bolts as I'm thinking of doing this myself. Also did you go for tapered ti bolts?

I can only find ti bolts in M6x20 for the front and M5x15 ti bolts for the side of the stem, no one does 18mm or 16mm on the UK sites. Do you think the different lengths will cause me any trouble.

Grams Light Bikes
    I had ordered these from http://www.torontocycles.com/

Non-Taper Head Bolt: M6x17.5
    Non-Taper Head Bolt: M5x15

I will try and get a picture...

Grams Light Bikes
    Here are a couple of pictures I quickly snapped the other night, according to my friend Ti hard to get the Alloy bright colors for anodizing.
    Attached Images Attached Images