holy schfincter..

Listen! Moots '12 Mooto X 29 vs Lynskey '12 Ridgeline VF

Looking to build up a new 1 x 10 ride. Anyone have an opinion between these two bikes? Both have the 68 mm BB shell and 44 mm Inset headtube I was looking for. Any reason in spend another $1k on the Moots? Much difference in stiffness or ride quality?

Anyone ridden both?

I am mainly a XC and short track XC racer. Cat 2 maybe move to Cat 1 soon.

thoughts?? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

moots vs Lynskey

Hi i used to have a mootoX as SS then 1 x 9. This bike was fantastic, however, i eventually sold due to it being too big and an injury (my fault not the bike). I found that it was very stiff around the BB area and stiff overall compared to a 26er dean Colonel (I had this before) overall the bike was great to look at welds as good as they get (maybe the standard) and would buy again without hesitation. I believe the ridgeline is made in China with Ti tubing from wherever but cannot confirm. The Moots is made in US with strict QC of whole process. IMHO a better option. Ridgeline has had QC issues with breakages and tubing cracks. If you are in the US and the $ difference is $1000 thats OK in Australia the $ difference > 1800 between the two brands.

Steve

holy schfincter..
    Correct me if I'm wrong but i believe all Lynskey bikes are still made in Tennessee (?).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I believe Lynskies are made in TN using imported tubing.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    I believe Lynskies are made in TN using imported tubing.
    Imported from China?? I hear their quality standards and alloy mixes are not on par with the military spec tubing Moots uses. Not all Ti is the same, and you get what you pay for.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i have a moots rsl that is about a year old. built 1x10 it is a great bike.....

i also know two guys that own lynskeys and both have had failures. both had bought the bikes second hand with low miles and they both bikes looked brand new. and both failed at the dropouts.

one is still trying to figure out how lynskey is going to handle it.....the other had to pay $1800 or so for a "crash replacement" or wait 8 months and $1000 for them to repair the chainstay....

my moots....solid, stiff, sturdy, light, comfortable and reliable thus far....
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Iím a similar XC racer, except I use my Ti bike for SS. My other race bike is a Ibis Mojo 1 x 10.

I owned a Ridgeline built up as a SS last year and sold it for a Mooto-X YBB SS this year. The Moots is a custom frame with a geo similar to the RSL and Lynsky. I felt that if I could take the edge off from riding a HT without losing the quickness, acceleration and responsiveness, Iíd would be a happy camper.

First off, the craftsmanship of the Moots is second to none (if that matters to you or not). It is a work of art, when I took it out of the box I put it on my bedroom couch and just starred at it for about a week. Iím not a typical type of biking person; I really enjoy owning nicely built bikes and toys. Thatís not to say the Lynsky isnít a great frame, it just has more of a mass produced look to it.

O.K., now as for the ride side, the softtail takes the edge off without compromising any of the great traits a HT has to offer, especially for an aggressive rider and racer like myself. The bike seems just as (laterally) stiff as any other Ti hardtail, even with the softail design.

Donít expect the softail to be a substitute for a full squish bike, though, it is not. It will still allow the rider to be connected with the trail and give nice feedback that most racers like.

So far Iím happy with my decision to spend the extra cash on the Moots. I like nice craftsmanship but, then again youíre paying for it.

If you are not committed to a particular shop, you can call around and find a shop that is willing to work with you on the price, that is when buying a frame only.

Mojo

holy schfincter..
    Thanks all. Yeah I am looking at frame only at this point. Doing some looking this week - fingers crossed!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The Moots I have ridden have been beautiful; however, I found the YBB to feel weird like I had a flat. Otherwise, a great bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Never felt my YBB was too squishy or like I had a flat. I have however had a 29er Ridgeline in the past and all I can say is that I found the chainstays to be too flexible for my taste. I had also heard (not experienced) many failures on the Lynskey tubing around the seat collar. With that being said, in the future I would still buy a Lynskey, but new to keep the warranty and support American manufacturing.
    "If 650b is the future and 26"ers are the past then sitting on my B6'er I am in the middle of the here and now"