mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Mooto XZ or Mooto X-YBB?

I've been sniffing at the 29er kool-aid...but here's my issue:

I'm 48 with a little bit of back issues. I like the longer rides and I'm an east coast rider so we've got plenty o' rocks and roots and other fun stuff thrown in there. I'm currently riding a fs RM etsx-70.

Now I know that the 29er wheels are going to make for a cushier ride, but I'm just not sure how much. I'm leaning towards the Mooto X YBB, but I am just a little nervous about stepping off of the fs train. On the other hand, I would rather not pay the additional penalities that come with fs (mechanical complexity, cable routing, weight, etc, etc) if the 29er YBB is going to be roughly equivalent. Obviously a Mooto XZ (with the 29) should be way more plush than a 26 fs, possibly overkill.

I know that this is not a question that I am going to be able to find "the" answer to, but it's a little tough to drop that coin on the Mooto X-YBB without having a pretty good sense of the equivalence with a fs. So I guess it boils down to this: 26 fs v. 29 YBB?

Let em rip. Thanks in advance.
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    After talking with Moots I had WS build me up a Mooto XZ this summer and love it! This is the third Moots that I have purchased in the last two years, and I am currently having Moots build me up a custom Rigor with the S&S couplers and a Rohloff rear as well. Of all of the Moots that I have this one sees more time out of my shop than any of the rest-super cush and just an all around great ride. The Mooto XZ has gotten some bad press recently by a few cycling mags only because they say it is a hard bike to get up to speed, but I haven't had any troubles in regards to this (I'm also a 6'1" 260lb Clyd.) and the bike is Lexus-like in it's ride qualities.

I have a neighbor that has the 26" YBB, and it is a really nice bike, but For now, at least, I am glad I went with the full boinger-Maybe next year I'll add a Mooto X YBB to the fleet...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go for the Gristle, 29 inthe front, 26 rear, best of both worlds. I got the YBB version this year, and it rides like a dream. It's also available with the Zircle rear end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    sbs biker-

Did you ride the full Mooto-XZ bike before making your choice? I am really curious as to how the Gristle rides-I love the concept, and think it would be an easier bike to wheelie up and over things with that smaller rear wheel. I was really close to going that route when I pulled the trigger on the XZ, but ended up going full 29'er just because I like to pack super light and I travel out in the woods quite a ways-one tube and tire really simplifies the pack and keeps me feeling good about the reserves. I would love to have some seat time in the Gristle to make the comparison...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The ybb even with a 29er will not feel like FS. It is a HT with advantages. I run tubeless so this does soften things up. When I ran tubes I used 26 tubes in the .29 wheel.
    The gristle rides nice but you do give up some of the 29 advantages.
    The moots fs works ok and this would probably be the way to go since you mention back issues and long rides. So you know where I'm coming from I have a Lenz Leviathan, Niner RIP, Salsa El Marchi and Salsa Dos Niner.
    I love my Dos Niner not quite a ybb but similiar. I live in Utah so we have rocks. I have done a 5 hour race in Crested Butte on the Dos and I was pretty beat up. On local rides up to 4 hours I can manage on the Dos. The FS is much more comfortable. In general at around 2 hours or less the Dos is great. Longer than that the FS is appreciated. BTW I'm the same age as you. Hope this helps. Finished sub 9 hours at Leadville trail 10 years ago on my Litespeed Tsali softtail
    and this year sub nine on my Lenz. The softtail feels faster but maybe not on longer rides.

mtbr member

my .02 cents...

I have had an XZ for a little over a year. Before that was a Ti Racer-X, and I feel the XZ is faster everywhere except extremely tight twisty singletrack. I live in the Southeast as well and this bike changed my riding. I went from being comfortable on 25mi rides to being comfortable doing 50mi rides. This is the one bike that caught my eye when I was looking for a new ride. I purchased this bike for XC and marathon rides and have not been disappointed. Do I wish it was lighter? Yeah, but I don't know that I would be any faster with a YBB (nor have I ever ridden one). If you're not racing... I'd definitely get an XZ. The cables route nice and clean and the design isn't all complicated like a SC Blur.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

thanks

Those are helpful responses, thanks.

Latest update: I got a killer deal on a Mooto X-YBB (frame, fork, headtube and seatpost) on eBay so I went for it. Almost done with the build up, so I'll let you know how it goes. I figure if it doesn't work out, that I can swap everything onto a Mooto XZ or whatever...I've been eyeing the Lenz, too so that's a good report.

I'm not really a racer. Though I do race, there is no danger of seeing me on the podium. Strictly for fun and to see how far I can go... Though once I hit the 50+ cat, who knows. But it would be nice to have the right tool between my legs when...oh, nevermind...

Although we do have a good amount of rocks and roots in PA, most of the longer races (with a couple of notable exceptions) are not sustained rocks so I might be ok with the YBB. We'll see.

Canyonman, congrats on Leadville, that's awesome. I'd love to visit that zoo!

ht610
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullsnake
    ... and the bike is Lexus-like in it's ride qualities.
    Can you please comment a bit on what you mean by "Lexus-Like". I have a XZ in the building process right now and just stumbled accross your attribute.

I have compared Lexus RX350 with Porsche cayenne and sevarl other Lexi with Mercedeses.

Never did a Lexus handle better.

So far, being built to order, after all, I thought of my coming XZ as an Aston Martin.