mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Mooto-X YBB wheel alignment

I got a custom sized 29er Mooto-X YBB a month ago.
    It has the sliding drop-outs for SS setup, but I'm currently running geared.
    However, I have noticed that the wheel doesn't appear to be centered between the seat stays (below the shock). I can confirm this by measuring the distance from the rim and the seat stays on each side, and it is closer to the left by 2-3mm. Of course, an out of dish wheel would cause this, but I flipped the wheel over (removed the brake caliber), and its still off to the left, which rules out the out of dish wheel.
    Both the sliding dropouts are all the way forward.

Any suggestions what may be causing this?
    I had my bike shipped ground to the east coast from the SW and back, I wonder if shipping could have tweaked the frame alignment. I don't know if this was an issue from new, as I had different tires where it was not obvious if the centering was off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Biking Dane,

I don't have exact answers for you but Moots has a bend to the chain stays for crank clearance and the bends are NOT symmetric from the left and right stay. I own many Moots but I don't have Mooto-X so I can't actually look at a frame for reference. The sliders might be out of alignment since they are aluminum but my guess is the frame is NOT out of alignment. If you have a competent LBS take the frame to them with the right tools they can check alignment in minutes might NOT even charge.

Satellite

mtbr member
    It most cases it has nothing to do with your frame but rather how your wheels have been dished. Not out of the dish but dished when originally built. You can be unlucky and have defective frame alignment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I sent the frame back to Moots, and they filed the drive side dropout to align the wheel. I have the sliding Paragon dropouts. I guess I could have done it myself.