Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mooto-X YBB and SRAM XX

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  kstine71 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of replacing the drivetrain on my Mooto-X with SRAM's XX groupo. Anyone else already jumped? I'm curious if there are any clearance issues with the 156mm q cranks or any other nits to worry about.

#2 ·
I am having a Mooto-X YBB being built right now with XX. My LBS owner has assured me that there won't be any issues. I have also confirmed this with other people in the business. There are something like 17 different front derailleurs that are available in the XX build kit so make sure you get the correct one for your application. Also, SRAM is offering three different pairs of chainrings but the largest set won't be available until summer.

#6 ·
flatlander

I'm a flatlander as well, Texas. I ordered up the 28/42 combo because I'm more worried about not having enough top end.

Hopefully SRAM offers replacement rings soon, I'd like to get the 26/39 combo for Colorado and may end up needing 30/45 on my home trails.

#7 · (Edited)
I originally wanted the 30-45 with an 11-32 cassette. When I couldn't get that chainring option I went with the 28-42 and kept the cassette the same. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise. Maybe gearguywb is right and I am crazy. Hey gearguywb, I see on the Moots forum you live in the Southeast. Do they have bigger hills down there? I ride a cross bike on these trails over here with a 46-38 crank and a 12-27 cassette and I am never really in the highest ratios. I pick up the bike on Saturday so I will let you know how it goes. Mark M

#9 ·
Kstine71, I just picked up my new Mooto-X YBB and those gear ratios are perfect for anything we are likely to come across. I do have a concern about the Q 156. I will talk to my LBS in the morning but I may not have enough room for a magnet on the inside of my non-drive-side crank arm for my Garmin cadence sensor. I need about 3/8" and I only have about 1/4". The drive-side has plenty of room so it may just be a spacer issue with the bottom bracket or I will need the next widest Q factor.

#10 ·
Slammer107 said:
Kstine71, I just picked up my new Mooto-X YBB and those gear ratios are perfect for anything we are likely to come across. I do have a concern about the Q 156. I will talk to my LBS in the morning but I may not have enough room for a magnet on the inside of my non-drive-side crank arm for my Garmin cadence sensor. I need about 3/8" and I only have about 1/4". The drive-side has plenty of room so it may just be a spacer issue with the bottom bracket or I will need the next widest Q factor.
glad to hear that gearing is going to work out.

Let me know what you find out on the clearance issue. I'm going to be in the same boat since I ordered Q 156. Is the magnet having problems clearing the chainstay or the cadence sensor itself?

#11 ·
The magnet is having trouble clearing the chain stay. I will post tomorrow when I find out what the solution will be. If I didn't have a cadence sensor, this crank would be fine. I do have two spacers on the drive-side of the bottom bracket and none on the side I am having the problem so it could just be an installation mistake. The spacers are essentially moving the crank a couple of millimeters to the drive side. That may be the difference between this crank working for me or needing the next wider Q factor.

#12 · (Edited)
OK, I talked with my LBS and he convinced me to stay with what I have and use a narrower magnet. The narrow Q-factor is one of the big benefits of XX and it would be a bad idea to go with a wider crank to make up for the thick magnet. Otherwise, it will fit perfectly on your bike. I'm not even sure I need cadence on a MTB anyway.

I just spoke directly with SRAM and they were very helpful. Regardless of Q-factor, you can't really go bigger than the 26/39 chain rings or the outer chain ring will be to close to the chain stay. That is what their pro riders use on their 29ers. The only way you can get it to even work is to put both spacers for the bottom bracket on the drive side which essentially is moving the crank to the right and will no longer be centered under you. The wider Q-factor would be better too if you really mash the pedals up hills due to the flexibility of Ti. PM me if you want more details or call SRAM. They were awesome to talk to.

#14 · (Edited)
thinner magnet

impreza515 said:
I have just run into the problem of the garmin cadence magnet not having clearance with the chainstay with the XX cranks. Anybody know where to find a thinner magnet to put on the crank arm?
I don't have the correct XX cranks yet, I was sent the 28/42 156q by mistake. So I can't address if these will clear, but it is a thinner option. LBS gave me something like this (cateye wheel magnet) and I cut one half off and zip tied it to the crank arm.

Here's something else that looks like it might work. Cateye magnet that is rather flat.

#19 ·
Slammer107 said:
My dealer said it may not have its own part number because he took it out of a kit. He said any Specialized dealer could get it though. If you PM me, I can e-mail a picture of it to you.
thanks for the guidance through this whole process!

I went into my LBS asking about that Specialized magnet and one of the guys there showed me a magnet that fit in the hex end of my pedal. Worked like a champ . I put the Race Face boots on the end of the crank arms and could tape over the hole to hold the magnet in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.