rider

Mooto-X YBB and Seatpost shim

My Mooto-X YBB uses a 28.6mm seatpost. Has anyone used a seatpost shim to shim up from a 27.2 seatpost?

The reply I received form Moots was "we donít recommend doing this, however, it is up to your own discretion".

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Keep the 28.6 - it is nice to have the additional stiffness on the YBB that the larger diameter offers. That's my experience.
    bikeone

rider
    I only own the 27.2. Nobody is making a 28.6 titanium post. I'm wondering what issues I might run in to.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Moots quit putting 28.6 posts on their bikes this year, so they quit making the posts. I have a Cinco with a 28.6 post. Are you set on having a Moots Ti post? I have a Thomson layback on my Cinco and it has been completely trouble free.

FWIW, there are a couple of 28.6 Moots posts on eBay right now.

rider
    Problem solved... Bought the Moots on the 'bay. Also bought a Thomson 28.6 in case I'm not a fan of the Moots clamp.

mtbr member
    Hey Swam, did you get your post yet? I'd recommend picking up the cal-van spreaders for sale on the Moots website. Will make your life a bunch easier...

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider
    Hey Swam, did you get your post yet? I'd recommend picking up the cal-van spreaders for sale on the Moots website. Will make your life a bunch easier...
    Yep, post in hand. She's a beauty. I'll look at the spreader. I was going to try the nickel trick

ss

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider
    I'd recommend picking up the cal-van spreaders for sale on the Moots website. Will make your life a bunch easier...
    Found the same spreaders at Sears $14.99. Craftsman part# 47386. Best part is they're Craftsman and carry the lifetime guarantee. The Cal-Van Moots spreaders are not guaranteed against breakage.

ss

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    I've not found that the spreader is necessary (though I am sure it is nice to have - job specific tools rock!).

My method:

Loosen clamp
    Push nose of seat all the way down
    Remove clamp bolts
    Place something in the clamp "slot" (I use a flat chainring tool)
    Run clamp bolts down from the top, bottoming out on whatever you place in clamp.
    Remove seat.

Changed seats on mine last night. Easy as pie.

Good Luck

LP