mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Mooto-x vs Indy Fab Ti

I tried to get some conversation going in the single speed forum but no one has joined in yet. Maybe here is a better bet. I'm currently looking at these two as my top picks for a 29er SS build, but have not ridden either off road, nor am I likely to till I buy one. About all I have to go on is 1. I love my Moots CR road bike and 2. I'm concerned over not being able to run a 2.4 on the Moots, if I choose. I could go with the RSL to address the clearance issue, but I wanted to go with a standard MX as this is going to be my full time SS rig, not a dedicated race rig.

My main criteria is a durable frame that performs well, and rides great. I'm sure they both fit that bill! Stock geo is fine for me 6' 165+lbs 33" inseam 35" reach-back to wall method. Riding style is aggressive, yet light (been riding my wife's Mary with Crests for months on pretty rough trails with no wheel issues). Trails will be primarily GA urban and North GA, Big Creek, Chicopee, Bull Mtn, Pinhoti's etc.

I know....terrible decision to have to make...har.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I recently got a Mooto x after riding a 26" Ybb for the last decade. The frame is everything you'd expect. Rides great, a good compromise between weight and durability. My Ikon 2.2's fit fine, so no complaints with clearance. The only thing I'd like is a lower TT for a lower standover height. My standover mid TT is around 33" on a 19" frame. This might be a concern with a SS if you're dismounting a lot. Awesome frame nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What size is yours? I'm thinking I'd go 19" for the MX or 18" on the MX-RSL.

My tire of choice is the Ardent 2.25, not sure if they run larger or smaller than average though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride a 19".

I'm in the same boat size wise, 19 in a MX, 18 in a MX Rsl. Basically, I need a 23 1/2" tt.

Remember, if you're going to use a Fox fork, you'll need the +5mm baseplate, which raises the front end...

OriginalDonk
    No baseplate needed for the RSL. Definitely needed for the MX. My 19" MX RSL is doing exactly what I bought it for.

mtbr member
    I ride an 18" XYBB...as others have stated, the TT is too short compared to the standover height for this geo. I recommend going custom geo on a MX if you can wait. You're most likely a 19" frame but I agree that on a SS, that standover is going to be a little much for a 33" inseam.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would take the Moots over the Inday Fab. I owned an indy fab to for a while in 2006- I thought it was too stuff.
    Mooto-X or RSL would be super sweet.
    I just got an RSL with custom geometry. longer top tube, slacker seat angle, build for 100mm fork. Hope to have it done today.
    Not to throw a wrench into the works but if you are thinking single speed- talk to Kent Eriksen. For the price of a stock Moots you can get a full custom. He really knows single speeds as well. I know there is always a lot of talk of bb type, etc. for single speeds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Moots all the way!