Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009

Mooto X RSL 29er rider feedback needed

All,

I am in the market for a 29er Ti. Thinking about a Mooto X RSL 29er.
    Not too many reviews or rider feedback available. Would like to get some from the folks here.

Currently riding an A9C Medium.

In my country (Israel) I know of one of those bikes but do not have the contact for the guy who rides it... no test bike either...

Appreciate your feedback,

Ofir

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ofir, the RSL series is the carbon bike killer in the Moots line. Light, stiff, quick responsive handling, lifetime warranty, what else could you want. I live here at the source, in Steamboat Springs, and have taken one of the Moots demo RSL's out for a ride and it's as good as it gets. The bike disappears below you and you float over the trails. The stiffer BB30, and chain stays turn each pedal stroke into forward motion.

Try posting over on Moots' forum for more input from RSL owners.
    http://moots.com/bbpress/

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    But man the cost of ownership is unbelievably steep. At least Moots is finally making s stiff bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Cost may be high but I've seen carbon mtbikes broken by simple crashes. I have a dent in the downtube of my Gristlefrom a rock kicked up by the front wheel that would have sent a carbon frame to the dumpster. Top quality craftmanship takes time and money. If you tour the Moots factory you can easily see why the care and quality they put into every frame costs so much.

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    But man the cost of ownership is unbelievably steep. At least Moots is finally making s stiff bike.
    If your riding style brings you to Ti then there is no question or doubt in my mind you get to have top quality with a purchase of a Moots.

There are pluses and minuses with everything in life, but as far as I understood - people who goes Ti do not come back to something else...

So in my mind this is money that will be well spent, plus the lifetime guaranty, plus the made in the US.

Ofir

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2 months and still VERY happy

Ofir,

I finished my MootoX RSL build about 2 months ago and it truly is everything it is hyped up to be. Light, fast, stiff where it needs to be but still has the compliance that you look for in Ti. I can honestly say it is worth every cent. Proof is in results. The first day I rode it I dropped a friend of mine on a climb that I have never even been able to keep up with him, and he was riding a similar (different brand) Ti 29er. Then, the next ride, same thing with another friend on the same climb. This bike was an upgrade from a 26" Klien hardtail, which is no slouch, but still was a significant upgrade and the difference was more than I ever imagined. I would definitely recommend the RSL. And the customer support/service with the people at Moots is top notch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Rsl

I am building a custom RSl right now. 17" with slacker than stock seat angle, longer toptube and built for 100mm fork. Actually Moots would be wise to steal my Geo.- I will report back when done.
    1st run over with tape measure says they nailed dimensions. Bike looks very proportional even though it is a 17".

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    bmuller, hows the bottom bracket holding up? Any creaking? My only concern about the RSL is the pressfit deal. Unfounded maybe, but still. Curious to hear how you have yours built and how it's holding up.

Anyone else with a RSL too, for that matter, chime in! =)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Moots demo impression.

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I had to travel far to demo a Mooto x RSL 3 times. It was worth it.

It is light, fast and strong.

I had to carry the bicycle over a pedestrian bridge. It was incredibly light! It was much lighter than a Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon bike(26 inch wheels) or a Trek Fuel EX8.

The 29er takes off like a rocket. Once the momentum starts, it takes very little effort to maintain speed. I able to follow an older rider on his roadbike up a very steep hill.

I took the dirt downhill and drove through each rut and ditch. The fork, frame and wheels managed to absorb the impacts.

It is an impressive bike.

Any one who purchases it will be happy.

I hope this helps,
    Lboy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I like everything about my RSL except the PF30 bb. Have had nothing but problems and creaks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Bootsie, have you tried the Enduro? I was running the e13 on mine, but it didn't set up well with my hollowgram cranks. Shame really, since the e13 is built like a TANK, pressed in very solidly and didn't creak at all. Swapped out for the Enduro XD-15 and so far it's perfect. No creaks, very very smooth, and feels like it's made out of air it's so light. My only concern was durability, but they are supposedly SUPER durable. Time will tell.

As far as the frame goes...I'm overjoyed. It's a pleasure to ride. Happy to expand on any questions about the frame, as I use it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You got me all excited- I am going to try the XD-15

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    G'day,

I've owned a fair number of Ti MTBs dating back to a Merlin Extralight through to a BAUM Extensa and most recently a MOOTO X RSL.

The Moots is by far the best Ti MTB I've owned. So impressed with it I've ordered an MX Divide to compliment the MX RSL.

Regarding BB30 bottom brackets, I too am running an XD-15 (Enduro) and it seems to be holding up very well.

Those of you that have had creaks etc - maybe try a thin layer of copper grease on the press-fit cups and on the outer surface of the bearing that is in contact with the delrin cup- seems to keep things silent on my set-up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Seems like Praxis just put out a solid looking BB too

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i love my moots rsl. stiff, responsive, light and a buttery ride, it is a true carbon bike killer.

yes, it is pricey, but it is a bike you can keep forever and hand down to others, you can't say that about a carbon bike. i have owned and sold many bikes.....but this bike will always be in my stable.

i am not a huge fan of the pf30 either....it is creaky and you go thru bottom brackets like nuts. i swapped over to a shimano bsa adapter and a shimano bb and cranks, and all is good.

i have had her set up as a ss, and as a 1x10 geared bike. recently switched from xx to xtr with shadow plus and i might also swap the fox terralogic fork (also great BTW) to a tapered dt xmm twin shot 100 fork.....i have a xtr 975 crank on now with the carbon rovals and a enve post....just a superb bike.

"forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    BB update: So far the X-15 is holding up well 2 months later. No creaks. I'll try to update again at 6mos. if I remember.

Still totally in love with this bike. I rode my Mojo SL for the first time in ages yesterday, and while it's a great ride, I'll likely keep picking the Moots 9 times out of 10. Kam, rock a Lefty on it...the fork is pure magic.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Kalamath.....i have used leftys and they are great. but, i ended up getting a 2012 dt swiss xmm 100 twin shot fork with the tapered alu steerer and 15mm thru axle....

man, the fork it pure magic....so supple it is amazing. i have used leftys, rebas and fox kashima forks....the suppleness of the fork is of lefty smoothness and the damper is the best i have used. the twin shot it awesome on steep climbs. stiffness is unrivaled as well.

the dt xmm arent cheap, but it is less than a lefty. outta the box the fork is so smooth and it still needs to be "broken in".....i am a pretty happy camper.

i'll try to get an updated pic post up here soon!
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I can't think of a better bike. Climbs like a bat out of hell, carves single track and is very comfortable to ride. In fact, I want to sell my 2011 mootox rsl complete and get a new one. It listed under the classifieds of mtbr.com under 29er hard tail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Rsl

I have a nice custom RSL- about 17.5 for sale in classifieds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    5 more months....X-15 is a champ still. No creaks, and I've hammered her though many a rainy day ride, multiple BB depth stream crossings, you name it. Lefty hasn't even needed a bearing reset....wtf, I was thinking it's a weekly necessity from reading the net. Love the hell out of this bike.

Just to show that it's not some gromed singletrack bike, this is the kind of riding I do with it: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Bull & Jake Mtn near Dahlonega | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

This thread is re-assuring.

Hello y'all,
    I ordered a Mooto x-rsl single speed a couple of months ago and due to the price I was obviously a little apprehensive but reading all of rave reviews certainly helps re-assure my choice (even if I have to eat a strictly top ramen diet for a month or so .) It shipped today and I can't wait.

OriginalDonk
    Any word on the Mooto X RSL single speed, dare I say Mooto X RSSL, Whiskeytown? How's it treating you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    Any word on the Mooto X RSL single speed, dare I say Mooto X RSSL, Whiskeytown? How's it treating you?
    Hey Donk,
    In short, I'll say this. The search is over and I cannot see myself ever riding another bike. The Ti feels like others have stated, with the perfect blend of flex and stiffness. And the durability of the Ti frame is reassuring. I ordered it with braze ons in case I ever want to go geared but, as far as the foreseeable future I could not imagine myself ever going back to a geared bike. For me I prefer the silent (except for my king hub), simple, low maintenance lightweight set up. I couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Still loving this bike like the day I got it. That X-15 is still going strong, haven't rebuilt it yet.

My ONLY niggling complaint about this bike is the somewhat spartan rear tire clearance. I run an Ardent 2.25 on a Enve AM rim, and while it fits, hard climbing will cause occasional rubbing if it's not EXACTLY set up perfect. A 2.20 Ikon works fine with no rubbing ever, but the places I ride call for a more rugged tire for parts of the year. I imagine going with a XC rim (4mm narrower) might allow a 2.25 Ardent enough extra room to be 100%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    A short note about rear tire fit. Needing to run the Ardent 2.25 I mentioned above at this years Snake Creek Gap TT, I was a bit desperate for a fix. I wound up going with the simplest quickest thing: I threw on a half link and moved the wheel about 1/4" back. Plenty of room, zero rub even on the toughest torquey climbs.

I didn't want to lengthen the chainstay any more than it already was, but it hasn't made that that much a difference in lofting the front wheel. It's not exactly a wheelie machine to begin with, but I'm able to do what I need to on the trails.