Thread: mootaineer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

mootaineer?

what was the story with this particular fs frame? anybody here have to battle with constant pivot noise? there's one on the bay right now, just trying to figure out if it was discontinued from an engineering standpoint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You might try emailing the folks at Moots (moots.com) and asking them directly about the history the design. I'm not so sure the Mootineer was a production line bike as much as a custom/one-off. They'd be the best people to tell you. Alternatively, you could post on the Moots riders forum and see what you can learn there.

I think the proprietor of Lacemine29.com has a mootineer and he posts on this site as "mikesee". He has a thread in the Passion forum entitled "Lightweight touring.' Maybe you could PM him for some info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I own a Mootaineer and the only time I ever had any noise issues was a ticking sound due to a pivot bolt that had become loose - once retightened up everything was back to being smooth & quiet. The main pivots have grease ports so it's no problem to keep everything greased up and happy.

Legend has it that the Mootaineer was discontinued because the frame was too labor intensive to produce and the market didn't really exist for what they should have charged for each example. The Smoothie is a better bike as it's lighter, stiffer and simpler. Since there was only 1" difference in the travel the Smoothie was a more economically sensible product for Moots to pump out.

Slightly flawed though it is I can't bring myself to part with the Mootaineer - as an all day XC bike it's great, smooth and flowing, it's just not as rigid as something with an Al rear end but that's part of the charm for me.