Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

If you couldn't afford a Moots hardtail frame, which...

I wanted to get some opinions on this. Thanks
    If you could't afford a Moots hardtail frame, which I really like, which affordable but not too expensive hardtail frame would you buy?

the flerg
    Moots is the best hardtail I have ridden although I'm biased. I've had it geared and as a single speed and like it ss much better because I get the response that ti gives. I say this because I had to get another ht for a geared bike (racing and north georgia mountains) and picked up a SIR9. If I didn't buy ti I would get steel for the compliant ride. The seconds you can save from aluminum are not worth it imho. Good luck.
    Demo Forest mountain biking has me spoiled.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobby4me
    Moots is the best hardtail I have ridden although I'm biased. I've had it geared and as a single speed and like it ss much better because I get the response that ti gives. I say this because I had to get another ht for a geared bike (racing and north georgia mountains) and picked up a SIR9. If I didn't buy ti I would get steel for the compliant ride. The seconds you can save from aluminum are not worth it imho. Good luck.

yea but steel weighs a ton and i have to carry my bike up 3 flights of stairs.
    Ti is out of my range. How bout aluminum? What affordable aluminum hardtail frame would you look into? i guess affordable would be under $600

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Is that $600 for just the frame or for a complete bike? I do not have a Rigormootis and probably never will after getting my YBB. I do have a GT Zaskar and there is absolutely no comparison between the ride. While the Zaskar climbs like a scalded goat it beats you up. You will not find the ride of Ti in almost anything else. Though I might look at Motobecane to see what they have available. That and save up money to get what you really want.

Scott
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24
    Is that $600 for just the frame or for a complete bike? I do not have a Rigormootis and probably never will after getting my YBB. I do have a GT Zaskar and there is absolutely no comparison between the ride. While the Zaskar climbs like a scalded goat it beats you up. You will not find the ride of Ti in almost anything else. Though I might look at Motobecane to see what they have available. That and save up money to get what you really want.

Scott
    that's about $600 for the frame only. i was going to start off with a good frame and build around it. if i get a good frame to start i was going to take the components i have now which are average, and put them on the good frame, and upgrade as i go along.

mtbr member
    Get over to e-bay and watch the sales of Moots bikes. Nowdays they are going for $1000-$1200 for a built up bike and less for just the frame. You will never get an AL bike as well made or one that will outlast a Moots, I will not even compair the rides as Ti vs AL isn't really a debate.
    What size do you ride? Currently there is a 18in rigimootis on auction for $1100 with parts!! I've got a 19in YBB in my garage that may soon see the auction floor as well. That's where I would look if I could not afford new. My ten year old YBB rides as nice as my one year old Gristle. Age isn't a factor with Ti, any used Moots can be refurbished to look like new at the factory and the great Ti ride never changes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    Get over to e-bay and watch the sales of Moots bikes. Nowdays they are going for $1000-$1200 for a built up bike and less for just the frame. You will never get an AL bike as well made or one that will outlast a Moots, I will not even compair the rides as Ti vs AL isn't really a debate.
    What size do you ride? Currently there is a 18in rigimootis on auction for $1100 with parts!! I've got a 19in YBB in my garage that may soon see the auction floor as well. That's where I would look if I could not afford new. My ten year old YBB rides as nice as my one year old Gristle. Age isn't a factor with Ti, any used Moots can be refurbished to look like new at the factory and the great Ti ride never changes.
    18 in. and 19 in. damn that makes it even harder because i wouldn't know what size to go with for a moots. i'm 5'11.
    i'll have to shop around on ebay and see what's going on.

slow
    A used MOOTS is better than most new bikes. I got my 1997 YBB Superlight on the bay in 2004 for $1600 with a nice weight weenie build. Still my favorite bike and seeing 3k+ miles a year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    A used MOOTS is better than most new bikes. I got my 1997 YBB Superlight on the bay in 2004 for $1600 with a nice weight weenie build. Still my favorite bike and seeing 3k+ miles a year.
    how does one know what size moots bike to get?

slow
    I measured a bike I had that fit me well, and then compared the measurements to those found on the MOOTS website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here is another place to find out just about anything you want to know about Moots bikes:

http://www.moots.com/index.php/forum/

Moots employees pop on every once and a while to answer questions as well. If it was me I would save up and wait to get a Moots YBB. It was my dream bike and took me almost ten years to finally get on. It was a used frame and has been back for a refurbish once and will be going at the end of this year again to have disc tabs added. I love it and would never get rid of it. The only bike that really tempts me to not have the YBB as my primary ride is a Kent Eriksen 5" travel FS with 650B wheels.

Scott
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks guys. i really need to test ride a moots. they look like great bikes and with great feedback but i need to test ride one. i just can't afford to shell out big bucks on a bike without a guaranteed great fit.

mtbr member
    Moots also does Demo rides through the summer, contact the factory and find out where you can connect, or come to steamboat and tour the factory and get fit in house.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Moots also does Demo rides through the summer, contact the factory and find out where you can connect, or come to steamboat and tour the factory and get fit in house.
    out of curiosity i looked to see where steamboat was. i'm guessing 3 hours from denver?
    i would love to get a pro fitting at moots factory. i'll be visiting family in az and i know a shop that carries moots bikes so i'm going to check them out when i'm out there during the summer.

rides with camera

Save your money and wait

I got my rigor last year and it is by far the nicest hardtail I`ve ever ridden and I have been on lot`s . I had planned on getting one when I turn 40 but things happened and I got one a little early . Yes they are expensive but well worth the money
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper
    I got my rigor last year and it is by far the nicest hardtail I`ve ever ridden and I have been on lot`s . I had planned on getting one when I turn 40 but things happened and I got one a little early . Yes they are expensive but well worth the money
    have you ever ridden a ventana? how does it compare?

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    have you ever ridden a ventana? how does it compare?

Never seen one in these parts of the world . I don`t know anything about them . Your obviously thinking of buying one . Just checked out the website , you must be looking at the El Chiquillo .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I love this quote.....

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    this is exactly correct....there is no perfect fit, there is however, a fit window....get inside yours and then just ride the snot our of the m-fer'..In order of importance...you....then fit....then shtuff.....nuff said....out

wombat

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    yea but steel weighs a ton and i have to carry my bike up 3 flights of stairs.
    Ti is out of my range. How bout aluminum? What affordable aluminum hardtail frame would you look into? i guess affordable would be under $600
    Where do you get the idea steel weighs a ton? There are a lot of great steel frames out there right now. What type of riding are you doing? XC, AM?? A good steel frame is an ON-One 456. less than 350 and great geometry. Geometry is more important than material.

Need to know what type of riding you will be doing before anyone can recommend a frame for you.

mtbr member
    True that Steel isn't that heavy, it just will not last as long as a Ti frame. Even a great steel frame will loose it's nice ride qualities after a few seasons, Ti rides like new forever.

mtbr member
    True that Steel isn't that heavy, it just will not last as long as a Ti frame. Even a great steel frame will loose it's nice ride qualities after a few seasons, Ti rides like new forever.

well if you rust proof a steel frame it will last almost indefinitely. the one drawback to a ti frame is price. as the years go by and geometry and fork lengths change, sometimes it's nice not to have a ton of money tied up in a ti frame. 10 years ago no one really made an aggressive am hardtail. everything was xc orientated only. geometry around a 3"-4" front fork etc. i like the newer am hardtails out there like the on one 456 or the transition trans am. not a lot of money, good standover and designed around a 4-6" fork.

but things will continue to evolve and steel is a good compromise

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I got a great bike and the price was cheaper than a Moots. Check on a IF, great steel bikes and a custom fit.

I'm saving for a Moots, I got 2 years until I turm 40.Bday gift to myself. I want a 29er FS.

mtbr member
    "well if you rust proof a steel frame it will last almost indefinitely."

The material may last forever, just the springy, nice ride will diminish over time. My ten year old YBB rides as good as my new one. A quick beadblast from the factory and you can't tell it from a fresh frame.

"steel is a good compromise."..

Why compromise, buy TI.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Baloney

Steel doesn't lose its ride quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Steel doesn't lose its ride quality.
    I agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast