Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you are on a budget, getting a Moots may not be the best choice. There are many other good ti frames within your budget out there that ride just as good as a Moots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
    There are many other good ti frames within your budget out there that ride just as good as a Moots.
    prove it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would get a used Moots. I recently picked up a mid-nineties YBB, and though it uses an 80mm fork, it's a great XC rig.

mtbr member
    I would get a Lynskey titanium frame. Lynskey is the family that made Litespeed and then sold the company. The non-compete agreement expired and they are making bikes again. Moots bikes are awesome but I couldn't afford one and wanted warranty protection. I bought a Lynskey Ridgeline 29 VF frame and it is awesome. Paid $1400 for the frame as last year's clearance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

No good

Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    prove it.
    Yeah right!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    I would get a Lynskey titanium frame. Lynskey is the family that made Litespeed and then sold the company. The non-compete agreement expired and they are making bikes again. Moots bikes are awesome but I couldn't afford one and wanted warranty protection. I bought a Lynskey Ridgeline 29 VF frame and it is awesome. Paid $1400 for the frame as last year's clearance.
    Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking of in terms of getting a more afforable frame. This Lynskey 29 is rougly half the price of a Moots and I bet you would be hard pressed to detect much difference in ride quality if both bikes are configured similary. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of a Moots, as I own a custom Moots road frame.

mtbr member
    I'm love Moots too, they make simply amazing bikes and if you want the very best and money isn't an issue go for a Moots, but there are other options out there. Lynskey and Moots have different sizes (for example, the Lynskey hardtails come in 16.5, 18.5, and 20.5, while the Moots come in 18, 19, 20, 22 inch) so finding the right size for you is a major consideration. Cheaper won't help if it doesn't fit, and neither will super quality if it doesn't fit...

Looking beyond hardtails, the Moots full suspension bikes are vastly superior in my opinion in terms of design, not to mention looks. So if you want full suspension go Moots or go for a different frame material that is cheaper than ti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    I wanted to get some opinions on this. Thanks
    If you could't afford a Moots hardtail frame, which I really like, which affordable but not too expensive hardtail frame would you buy?
    what is it that you really like about the Moots? If it's the titanium feel, then Motobecane and Carver make a very affordable ti bike. Slightly more is the Dean ti. If it's the build quality, buy a handmade steel frame from Cysco Cycles or ti bike from TiCycles. If it's the ride/handling/cornering/climbing/etc. or the name "Moots" you like, can't help you there, Moots is the only one.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by signalMTB View Post
    what is it that you really like about the Moots? If it's the titanium feel, then Motobecane and Carver make a very affordable ti bike. Slightly more is the Dean ti. If it's the build quality, buy a handmade steel frame from Cysco Cycles or ti bike from TiCycles. If it's the ride/handling/cornering/climbing/etc. or the name "Moots" you like, can't help you there, Moots is the only one.
    This is the route I took. I don't regret it one bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Had a Lynskey, wanted something a little stiffer. Tried Carbon Niner A9C very nice, but I like TI. Looked at the Mooto-x RSL but decided to give the new Litespeed Cohutta a try. 49mm headtube, PF 30 BB, short chainstays, oversized tubing...bit of a weight penality my large is 4.7 lbs. Have not built it yet but saved money over Moots so thinking I might justify ENVE wheels. Will run it SS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What specifically makes the Ti bikes ride so nice? Pardon my ignorance I've never ridden a moots, or a lite speed. But they intrigue me because of how cool the raw color looks. I'm wanting to build up a SS in the near future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstateskier View Post
    What specifically makes the Ti bikes ride so nice?
    Lively and springy ride quality. Carbon feels dead and muted. Steel feels lively as well but not as springy. Also the light weight adds to the snappy feeling on climbs.

mtbr member
    IMO, any Moots 29er frame rides better than a Lynskey Ridgeline. The Lynskey for sure has more flex. I haven't ridden a Lynskey Pro 29, so can't compare them. Two other things I don't like about Lynskey, pop rivot water bottle bosses, and where they source their titanium. They no longer claim to source USA Ti.

I'm also aware of the price difference. For a budget frame, Lynskey is hard to beat. They also have super short seat tube's too.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    You have never ridden a Moots and you know a Lynskey isn't as good. That is the perfect homer statement

My struggle with Moots is front triangle flex. The 44 should help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    You have never ridden a Moots and you know a Lynskey isn't as good. That is the perfect homer statement

My struggle with Moots is front triangle flex. The 44 should help.

Huh? I assume that comment was to me. I've owned 2 Moots mountain bikes. Also demo'd the RSL. I've never ridden a Lynskey Pro29.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Riding a MX RSL now, and there's no flex at all. Course I weigh 160 but still, I can't see this thing flexing for anyone, it's burly.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I just wonder about guys who say they like the bike they own and not the other guy's bike. Price and brand are not always meaningful when it comes to ride. For example, the Salsa El Mariachi rides awesome and it a $600 frame.

mtbr member
    Baum ti road frames cost $7400. Do they ride better than say IF or Moots frames which cost less? Dunno. But I can understand some people for whatever reason wanting to ride a Baum. If you like something, get it, and move on to something else when your love is gone. Cost/benefit comparisons do not apply to bikes - you always keep an eye on something you "always wanted."

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey everybody out there, I have a complete 17" moots mootox rsl built to the nines on the 29er hard tail classifieds on mtbr.com. Time to move it out and get a new one. Take a look and make an offer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twklei View Post

I'm saving for a Moots, I got 2 years until I turm 40.Bday gift to myself. I want a 29er FS.
    Sooooo, it's been two years...

Did you splurge and get yourself the MX Divide for your 40th?
    "Boom"........"Regard me".

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

FYI -- there's a large Rigor' frame for sale in the classifieds...
    Just sayin'.

- Chris
    '96 Trek 990 SHX / '08 Gunnar Crosshairs

AZ Sun Lover
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorsociologist View Post
    FYI -- there's a large Rigor' frame for sale in the classifieds...
    Just sayin'.

I own 3 Moots, one YBB and two Rigor Mootis bikes. The YBB is for MTB riding the 1st Rigor was for training, the 2nd was my race only bike. It still has the original decals from Moots.

I need to list my ex race day only 26" wheel, 18", Rigor Mootis for sale shortly. I will also be listing the racing set of custom Chris King wheels. They are built with Revo spokes at 3x & 2x rear. The rear wheel comes in @ 808g & the front is 1x @ 631g. Racing is won on the climbs. This hard tail Ti. frame will "carve" fast single track as fast is you dare. This frame has about 50 hrs. racing. The wheel set has about 30 hrs. of racing. My racing weight was 150 to 155 lbs. ( The good old days! )
    I have known for many mos. that I can't race anymore because father time & my orthopedic surgeon tells I need to have both shoulders replaced! Some of the funnest days in my life was on top of this frame. Now @ 54 I'm having a very hard time letting go of my past!

Someone convince me I need to let go of this frame & wheel set.

Edit on 9-10-14 sold the Rigor Mootis frame on Craigslist to a buyer in Seattle WA and I'm outside of Phoenix AZ. The buyer said he spent hours searching Craigslist to find a Rigor Mootis.

AZ
    Last edited by AZ Sun Lover; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I know this question/thread is a few years old, but I think many people ask these questions. "how can I get a bike for less money, which will make me feel like I am riding the more expensive one".
    I understand the question, because honestly, some of these bikes are super expensive. What I can say is that once you are truly set on something, a substitute will not scratch the itch for you.
    I have owned, and currently own cheap and expensive bikes. They all have their place, and different things I like about them. One thing I can say is there is no feeling on a bike like riding a MOOTS!
    Save up, buy used, but if you want one.....go for it.
    I have ridden a Motobecane ti and a Lynskey...both nice, but I would probably get the Moto of the two....neither are a Moots.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2