banned

History of Moots?

Does anyone know the history and origins of Moots? I'm a fan of the company and used to read into their bikes back in the day. I also could have sworn that when the Trek STP came out and MBA gave it a glowing review for the pioneering design, someone from Moots (I keep thinking Chris Moots, though my memory is fading) wrote a retort and got blasted.

One thing that sparked this was thinking there was a guy named "Moots" in the company, but I can not remember.

When/who started Moots?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Here is a start to your quest for knowledge.........

mtbr member
    I'll make a trip down that way this year sometime and would love to talk to the guys and check out the facility- and maybe hint towards slacker headangles

Those guys are very passionate about what they do and they don't make that much money but they run a clean ship and the passion and pride they possess is very refreshing!

In FTF We Trust
    JC, that wikipedia entry is pretty thin on information (useless). Moots was started by Kent Eriksen and they started out just building some beautifully lugged steel bikes. There was never any fleshy "Moots"; the name (and their logo) came from a rubber pencil eraser-topper alligator Kent had as a kid that he named "Mr. Moots".
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

banned
    Eriksen is now in his own company, no? Who's running Moots now?

mtbr member
    Rob Mitchell was recently named the new president of Moots.

Kent Eriksen is doing his own thing now next door to Orange Peel Cycles in Steamboat.

banned
    And no continued relationship between the two?

Spooooon!
    That's right, no continued relationship. Kent sold the company and then stayed on for a while to help with the transition. He's now a competitor to his former company. I think Moots just got too big and Kent was spending more time managing the place instead of talking to customers and building bikes. His new operation is very small and personal. You actually get Kent or his wife on the phone when you call. The bikes that Kent builds are beautiful. Very Moots-like, but totally custom.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    You actually get Kent or his wife on the phone when you call. The bikes that Kent builds are beautiful. Very Moots-like, but totally custom.
    Kent returned my call yesterday....we talked for 45 minutes about bikes and my need for Titanium......He's very helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

History of motors

Hi,
    Motor principal is electrical energy to mechanical energy force.Those guys are very passionate about what they do and they don't make that much money but they run a clean ship and the passion and pride they possess is very refreshing!
    ================================================== =================
    reena
    New Mexico Drug Addiction

Spooooon!
    Quote Originally Posted by reena12
    Hi,
    Motor principal is electrical energy to mechanical energy force.Those guys are very passionate about what they do and they don't make that much money but they run a clean ship and the passion and pride they possess is very refreshing!
    ================================================== =================
    reena
    New Mexico Drug Addiction

Uh . . . ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, what kind of crap is this? Do we have a drug problem on the Moots forum?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Yeah, what kind of crap is this? Do we have a drug problem on the Moots forum?
    Yep Dam Bro, she was a pretty random post for a first post.... Whoa, pretty much tops it for sure...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    For history purposes, Kent is working out of the same building that he started Moots in. Here's the little jewel he threw together for me.

Eriksen #241 (pic heavy)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A "Must Read" for any serious Moots fan:

http://www.mombat.org/Moots.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't think Kent" makes" the bikes as he took one of his ace welders with him and has him actually lay down the welds. Last time I was by the place it did look like Kent gets his hands dirty with the design, tube cutting/miters and such however.
    Moots is more of a bigger machine, where Kent is a small house operation. I like them both.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just because you hire a welder dosen't mean that you are not "making" bikes. The welder dosn't size the bike, or even know how to design, and fit a rider to a bike, he's just joining the tubes that Kent put's in the jig. That system has the experenced fitter/designer putting togerther your ride, and moving onto the next rider's bike while the welder does his job. Much like an architect/builder relationship. I know many talented architects, but I don't want them trimming out my custom home.