mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Help me decide on my new Moots 26" or 29"?

I have finally decided to go for a YBB instead of a 'full' suspension bike. Now I have to decide if I should go for a 29". I'm currently living in the south of Germany (for the next two years) so the terrain is hilley! While I plan on doing some endurance races like the Trans Alps next year, the bike will be used for mostly short rides (50 - 100km) during the week. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs (I hope to lose some weight!) and I understand that I could benefit from a 29er? Unfortuantley, I'm not in a position to test ride anything so I will have to go with a best guess and the worst case will be that I will have to sell the frame. 29er just don't seem to be as popular here as in the US.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Drop in?... Anyone?

26 or 29?

On a YBB... that is a good question. It's easier to answer for a fully (a 26'r). 29'r will roll over larger rocks better than the 26'r. The 29'r will have a larger contact patch, so it will be less likely to "spin out". The 29'r will "feel" smoother... like there is a bit more suspension.

The 26'r will "spin-up" faster... so it will be easier to get to speed. It will climb a bit better due to the lower rotating mass of the wheels. The 26'r will probably be easier to maneuver in the switchbacks and it will be "quicker" due to the shorter chain-stays. 26'r wheels are probably stiffer. The 26'r will have many more wheel and tire choices.

Truth is, they both do things well, so it's a bit of personal preference. Tough choice. Just FYI, Moots offers a "Gristle" custom option for most of frames. A Gristle YBB would be a 69'r. Theoretically, it would have the benefits of having a 29'r in front and quickness due to the 26'r with shorter chain-stays in the rear.

Post pictures when you get the YBB!
    "Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy you a yacht and you can sail right up next to it!" David Lee Roth

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The decision may have been made for me... just put an offer in to buy a used MotoX YBB. Having never ridden a 29er or a YBB, I am taking a big leap of faith!

"Its All Good"
    I dont think you will be dissapointed... I rode a 29er Sultan for 10 minutes... That was while I was awaiitng my 29er to arrive, fully rigid SS to boot....

It will grow on you for sure. Best of luck
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Drop in?... Anyone?

AhHa!

You will love the YBB in either version! A fantastic Frame! I'm sure you will be very happy! Remember to post pics!
    "Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy you a yacht and you can sail right up next to it!" David Lee Roth

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

It's just a matter of opinion.

In either format I'm sure the YBB will be a great bike. I'm currently lusting over a YBB.....but am waiting to see if Moots can do a 650.

At 6'3" I find my 29er to be just something different....nothing more nothing less.....I enjoy hearing all the zealots trying to convert the vertically enhanced mtn bikers......one either likes 29ers or they don't. I personally don't like the trade off between handling verses rolls over stuff easy because the wheels are big It's just a matter how it fits your riding style.

The messiah speaks - "Chris Sugai - Twenty-nine-inch wheels will supplant 26-inch wheel bikes by 2017. In ten years, all mountain bikes sold from $1000 to $1500 and above will have 29-inch wheels."

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    In either format I'm sure the YBB will be a great bike. I'm currently lusting over a YBB.....but am waiting to see if Moots can do a 650.

At 6'3" I find my 29er to be just something different....nothing more nothing less.....I enjoy hearing all the zealots trying to convert the vertically enhanced mtn bikers......one either likes 29ers or they don't. I personally don't like the trade off between handling verses rolls over stuff easy because the wheels are big It's just a matter how it fits your riding style.

The messiah speaks - "Chris Sugai - Twenty-nine-inch wheels will supplant 26-inch wheel bikes by 2017. In ten years, all mountain bikes sold from $1000 to $1500 and above will have 29-inch wheels."
    Wow, I read that. This months MBA I think... There are just too many subtle differences between the two, and you're right it boils down to fit and riding style! 2017?..."ALL", I won't be going to Vegas and putting my money down on that. The only bet I (personally) would make is I will have one of each LOL!