FIX IT YOURSELF

New question here. Future New XZ Owner

So, finally my dream is in motion...I just placed an order with my local shop for a Moots XZ ...I have been working out my build list and I am going first class on this one...With an 8g budget I want it as light as possible...I'm searching other opinions on two issues...

1) I want to switch out the FOX rear for a DT Swiss xr carbon...
    a) Will it have a negative affect on the performance?
    b) Will Moots sell a frame and rear triangle without the rear shock?

2) What front fork do you all suggest?
    a) 2009 Reba with maxle
    b) Fox F29 ( i would of course match travel length with the rear)

I really want to get this right soo shoot away...The DT Swiss looks great from a weight perspective 5.8 oz+/-
    How do you contact Moots directy? Didn't see anything on the site
    Last edited by spencer the kalmyk; 09-15-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You can find the number for Moots on their website. I think it's listed under the shopping/store tab. As for the fork, I'm running a Fox F series on my new YBB and am very happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Fox, but if you're looking for something super light, then you might consider other options. For me, the performance of the Fox is worth the minor weight penalty. Since I don't ride FS, I can't offer any advise on the rear shock.

mtbr member
    I just had my XZ shipped out a couple of days ago and it should be here on Friday. My XZ was built due to an insurance claim with my last bike so it did not cost me a dime. I really liked the look of a fellow mtbr member's XZ, and plagiarized most of his bike.

The Fox 100mm seemed to be the best 29er fork for the Moots. I read several less than stellar reviews about the Reba and issues with stiffness. That being said, I have a 26in Reba I am happy with, but I still prefer the Fox RLC on my Racer-X.

You will most likely need an extended race for the headset of choice since Moots did not allow for clearance with the Fox or Reba (I might be wrong about the Reba). I read a post somewhere saying you could file some of the lockout off the Fox and it would barely clear the downtube, but that sounds a little sketchy.

I have never ridden a DT rear shock so I will be no help there.

Cheers
    Last edited by cavitykilla; 09-16-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    (edit: There was supposed to be spaces between all the components but its not working on my browser)

Frame Moots Mooto-XZ 29 Titanium 19.00
    Fork Fox 32 F29 RLC 100 White
    Brake Shimano XTR M975 | 160.00
    Brake Shimano XTR M975 | 180.00
    Shifter Shimano XTR Pods SL-M970
    Crank Shimano XTR Aluminum 175.00 22-32-44
    FrontD Shimano XTR M970 Top Swing
    Cassette Shimano XTR M970 | Steel/Titanium | 11-34
    RearD Shimano XTR M972 Shadow | L
    Chain Shimano XTR 7701
    Pedal Shimano M970 | Silver/
    Headset Chris King NoThread Set | Navy
    Stem Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 44 | Wet Black | 100
    Handlebar Easton EC90 Monkeylite SL
    Grip ODI Rogue Lock On | Black
    Seatpost Moots Ti Titanium 340mm Setback
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow | Black
    Tire Kenda Small Block 8
    Tire Continental Mountain King 29
    Skewers Dt Swiss RWS Thru-Bolt
    FrontHub 32 hole Classic blue convertable 9mm thru axel
    RearHub Industry 9 32h blue classic hub 10x135 thru axel
    Rim Stans NoTUBES ZTR Arch
    Spoke DT Swiss Supercomp 14/16/15g
    Nipple DT Swiss Alloy | Silver
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Truffle Shuffle

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    You will most likely need an extended race for the headset of choice since Moots did not allow for clearance with the Fox or Reba (I might be wrong about the Reba).

Chris King...on the list already
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    (edit: There was supposed to be spaces between all the components but its not working on my browser)

Frame Moots Mooto-XZ 29 Titanium 19.00
    Fork Fox 32 F29 RLC 100 White
    Brake Shimano XTR M975 | 160.00
    Brake Shimano XTR M975 | 180.00
    Shifter Shimano XTR Pods SL-M970
    Crank Shimano XTR Aluminum 175.00 22-32-44
    FrontD Shimano XTR M970 Top Swing
    Cassette Shimano XTR M970 | Steel/Titanium | 11-34
    RearD Shimano XTR M972 Shadow | L
    Chain Shimano XTR 7701
    Pedal Shimano M970 | Silver/
    Headset Chris King NoThread Set | Navy
    Stem Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 44 | Wet Black | 100
    Handlebar Easton EC90 Monkeylite SL
    Grip ODI Rogue Lock On | Black
    Seatpost Moots Ti Titanium 340mm Setback
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow | Black
    Tire Kenda Small Block 8
    Tire Continental Mountain King 29
    Skewers Dt Swiss RWS Thru-Bolt
    FrontHub 32 hole Classic blue convertable 9mm thru axel
    RearHub Industry 9 32h blue classic hub 10x135 thru axel
    Spoke DT Swiss Supercomp 14/16/15g
    Nipple DT Swiss Alloy | Silver

That sounds like a bike a dentist would ride
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member

Frame Moots Mooto-XZ 29 Titanium 19.00...
    cavitykilla - sent you a PM. let's get together for a ride once the Moots is built.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    I am a dentist, but I still couldn't afford a Moots. I had to wait for Express Oil to slam my eBay'd '05 Giant NRS into their garage door! They pretty much told me to build the bike of my choice and get the insurance claim closed asap. This bike will be worth more than both of our (my wife and I) cars combined!!!
    Truffle Shuffle

FIX IT YOURSELF
    [QUOTE=cavitykilla]I am a dentist,[QUOTE]

I figured that out by your screen name
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    What have you decided about the build? I was curious about your wheel and component selection with that kind of budget. I would have gone for Edge Composite rims and I9 classic hubs if I would have had the okay from the ins. company (for some reason they thought $2200 was a bit excessive for wheels).
    Truffle Shuffle

FIX IT YOURSELF
    What have you decided about the build? I was curious about your wheel and component selection with that kind of budget. I would have gone for Edge Composite rims and I9 classic hubs if I would have had the okay from the ins. company (for some reason they thought $2200 was a bit excessive for wheels).

this is a tough, for I think wheels are the single most important component on a 29er...I will definetly post up when I know what I'm doing....Never heard of Edge composite but I'll give a look...Keep ya posted
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wheels- I am going with Chris King hubs laced with DT Comps to Stan's/Notubes Arch rims. They will be built by Larry at mtnhighcyclery since he builds ridiculously durable wheels. I went with stiffer spokes yet a lighter rim and am confident they will hold up to my 185 lbs. If I did a lot of drops, I'm choose Flows at least. As it stands, I try to seriously avoid anything significantly over two feet.

Grams Light Bikes
    Let me check with the boys what the stroke length and eyelet distance is for the shock. I myself like the DT Swiss Carbon a lot, I have one on my Ibis Mojo, they are very expensive. Moots is pretty busy right now due to Interbike next week. Note that they are also using the high volume model of the RP23.

Here is my build. I am going to create a new wheelset soon based on either the Hope or American Classic with a Stans rim soon, most likely the Arch. My build is a bit heavy with all Moots stuff (stem, seatpost and bars) and I sure I can save some weight in that area, but the Moots stuff is strong and well it's Moots, nice to have it totally tricked out that way.

If I had to do it again I would get a 20mm axle fork, after switching to that on my 26er I could never go back to a 9mm QR in front. That would mean I would have to try a Manitou Minute 29er.

So in regards to your questions:

1) I want to switch out the FOX rear for a DT Swiss xr carbon...
    a) Will it have a negative affect on the performance?
    ### it will feel different, the fox is good at small bump compliance but ramps up harsher at the end and it wallows a bit IMHO, the DT Swiss is stiffer and has better medium to large bump compliance, I like how it stands when doing hard technical moves

b) Will Moots sell a frame and rear triangle without the rear shock?
    ### Not sure, since they don't have the DT Swiss is an option it might be up to the LBS to swap out for you instead, you would need to ping them

2) What front fork do you all suggest?
    a) 2009 Reba with maxle
    ## I would sugest the Manitou Minute 29er with their 20mm axle (not a maxle)

b) Fox F29 ( i would of course match travel length with the rear)
    ### I am using that currently so it is a great fork, much better then the Reba IMHO, but wish it came with a 20mm or even the new 15mm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grams Light Bikes
    Additional info: The 16.5 and 18 are 7.5 eye to eye with a 2 stroke and the 19-22 are 7.875 x 2 stroke.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Eyelets are 200 mm
    Stroke 55 mm

Will it work and bye the way I was waiting for you to post up here
    Last edited by spencer the kalmyk; 09-21-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    She's in baby
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer the kalmyk
    Eyelets are 200 mm
    Stroke 55 mm

Will it work and bye the way I was waiting for you to post up here
    Moots is using a 50 stroke for both size 190mm/7.5in (for 16.5 and 18 inch frames) and 200mm/7.87in (for 19-22 inch frames), so the stroke might be a bit long and if you bottom out, which isn't that likely with the way the DT Swiss ramps up at the end of it's travel, the rear tire could bang into the seat tube.

So it should work for you. I am at Interbike and I will ask them if it would work, up to follow, if you can wait!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Moots is using a 50 stroke for both size 190mm/7.5in (for 16.5 and 18 inch frames) and 200mm/7.87in (for 19-22 inch frames), so the stroke might be a bit long and if you bottom out, which isn't that likely with the way the DT Swiss ramps up at the end of it's travel, the rear tire could bang into the seat tube.

So it should work for you. I am at Interbike and I will ask them if it would work, up to follow, if you can wait!
    Thanks Gram...Please keep me posted on this
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Hey PastaJet...Your interbike review popped up on my local forum which is pretty ironic if you ask me...I'm sure that Turner wasn't that bad of a ride either...
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    I have a call into Matt from Moots...Every picture I have seen online of th XZ has the same shock mount bolt...Not mine I have a 5 mm bolt on the drive side and washer/nut combo locks it down on the non drive side...
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

Grams Light Bikes
    Mine is a M5x10 bolt, it comes in from the non drive side, until I get home I can't check if you can reverse the bolt and nut direction.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Mine is a M5x10 bolt, it comes in from the non drive side, until I get home I can't check if you can reverse the bolt and nut direction.
    Exactly...Your pic set my mind running...When the wife gets home I'll post up a picture of my setup...Check back @ 430 est...I hope Moots will make good on this because it seems EVERY picture online has the same as your bike...Here is an Interbike photo, though I know you saw this personally...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/fi...icture-148.jpg

Spence
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

Grams Light Bikes
    I would think that either the bolt and nut can go in either direction or else the tabs were welded the reverse that they usually are, meaning the nut tab is on the non drive side and the bolt tab is on the drive side, either of those should not make any difference and it should be functional, in fact if the tabs were reversed you have a unique build on your hands, no one else might have one like that!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    in fact if the tabs were reversed you have a unique build on your hands, no one else might have one like that!
    I understand where your coming from...I don't think they were reversed though...Function and durabilty is my concern not really cosmetic
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!