mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Factory refurb details...

Pretty stoked about returning to California from overseas...was thinking about sending my YBB back to Steamboat for a factory refurb...but am wondering if it is worth it. New stickers and finish...not really neccesary but cool. Dont need any tabs added or taken off...for sure need the slider replaced, and hesitate to do it myself, but iffy about the alignment check...not sure if I need it.

If I do it, it will precede an almost complete rebuild replacing the old X9 and Hope stuff with an XT/XTR mix.

Who has done it and is it really worth it? Will hit a dealer for the slider replacement if it isnt...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I don't think it's worth the coin if you're not adding or cutting anything off. Buy new stickers and some scotch brite pads. And rebuild the YBB yourself....it's easy

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I don't think it's worth the coin if you're not adding or cutting anything off. Buy new stickers and some scotch brite pads. And rebuild the YBB yourself....it's easy
    Thanks for the input...a little intimidated by the shock replacement. Any tips?

mtbr member
    The shock replacement is easy, and I think Moots has a tech page that shows you how to do it.

But a factory refurbish will make your bike look brand new. I did my '99 YBB several times, and when I sold it last year at Veloswap, the buyer had no idea the abuse I put that frame through, it looked great.