mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Derailleur Hanger failure -- how common?

Today was the 2-year birthday of my precious Mooto-X YBB, I brought it to the shop 2 weeks ago for an annual spring check-up and was told when I picked it up that the derailleur hanger was a bit bent, but they straightened it out.

My thoughts at the time were: 1) I wasn't getting any ghost shifting or problems at all, so it couldn't have been bent much.

and... 2) I don't think you're supposed to try and "bend back" titanium, for risk of it suddenly failing.

Well, I took the bike out today for a special ride. It was 2 hours away by car, plus an hour on a ferry (went to Orcas Island for those in WA)... and 2 miles into the ride, the derailleur hanger broke clean off.

Never has this happened to me in 11 years of mountain biking. Never did I expect it to with a Ti hanger. So, no, I didn't have a spare. Yes, I should have, but I didn't.

Amazingly, the one other person I know who has a Moots mountain bike was also riding at Orcas on the same day she happened by as I was walking my bike back to the car. I asked her if she had a hanger. She didn't. Like me, she never heard of one breaking before. She had her YBB for 5 years now.

So, my question to you Moots owners is this: Is it common for a Moots derailleur hanger to suddenly rip in two and do you think the bike shop's "help" in bending it back for me caused the sudden failure?

Thank you oh wise men and women of the Interwebs, I await your response.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i might be wrong, but the replaceable rd hangers are aluminum, i believe. i bought my ybb used; the previous owner had snapped a hanger in the past; mine came with an extra he bought. i would think that aluminum would be more susceptible to cracking while attempting to cold set than titanium. i think the rd hanger is al for this reason; you'd rather break that than damage the dropout, or your xo/xtr rd.

might as well pick up a ybb rebuild kit with the rd hanger when you call out to steamboat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You know, they look Ti on the surface, but the cracked surface definitely looked Al.

mtbr member
    My Mooto-X's hanger is aluminum as well . I am pretty sure they all are.

The damage the shop found may have been deeper than they thought, plus bending it back would weaken it further. I have 2 or 3 hangers, and usually keep one in my bike kit. I ride with about 5 guys with Mooto-X's as well, and none of those bozos would carry one, so I have extras.

Order some straight from Moots here:

http://www.moots.com/store-indivdisp...ium+Components
    Ride Your Bicycle

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    We have one you could borrow until we get one in for you... It's a little tight getting the axle to pull through, but it would allow you to ride. We're just down the hill in Issaquah (I've ridden with you on some bbtc/emba rides, though it's been a while), and we are an active Moots dealer (even have a Mooto-X Ybb demo in the shop right now).

All of the current Moots hangers are aluminum, but anodized to look like the ti around them.
    Bending the old one could have weakened it some, but if you shifing was fine before hand, it probably wasn't bent badly, which means they would have had to overbend it ALOT to fatigue it to the point of failing on its own.
    We have seen alot of twisted up hangers coming into the shop this winter and spring from our bikes and bikes from other shops - It can happen in a split second when a twig pulls your derailleur up with the spokes, and too often it falls out by the time you get to a stop. It's usually in the middle of the cogset when we see this happen, so I don't think it's an issue of limit screw misadjustment.

Let me know if you need me to pull that hanger out for you...
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks vwvoodoo, I placed an order for 2 of them last night from Moots. I'm heading out of town for a couple weeks so no hurry. I'll just ride my SS this week before I go. I'll be sure to check you guys out though, I haven't been in your shop yet.

As for the break -- it snapped clean off while spinning my way up a double-track climb. no twig or rock hit. No heavy torque. Just one second I'm pedaling and the next I have a derailleur flapping in the breeze. Methinks somebody tried muscling a little too much and did more harm than good.

I'll be sure to keep a spare with me from now on. I guess I was just lucky the past 11 years. Sure glad it didn't break during TransRockies.

mtbr member
    I've only bent one in 15 years of riding, and it was on my Eriksen. If you look at the back edge of the hanger you can see a kink where it bent. I believe the Eriksen hanger is very similar to the Moots. I've since purchased several spares. The other two hangers here are from a Specialized M2 which are not bent, but had the threaded brass inserts pull out.

Dave
    Blog / Strava

Grams Light Bikes
    Yes, they are aluminum. Try carrying ones of these cool toys http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/694/27/ next time you go out, not the most perfect hanger but it would get you back to the car if you snapped one on the trail.

mtbr member

Rigormootis derailleur hanger failure

I had the same problem about 2 years in on my Rigor. Very familiar story line... bike shop noticed it was bent during a regular tune up. I was lucky I guess - it broke during the straightening attempt so my only pain was waiting on a replacement. I don't recall whacking the derailleur on anything but maybe a rock jumped up and bit it. C'est la vie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I bought a spare just to have in stock for an emergency. The whole point of the alum dropout is so that it breaks first in a major trauma. The bad thing is it does break sometimes. Just saying. On road trips for sure it goes with me.