mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cinco XC race build

I've got a Cinco that is set up as more of an All Mountain ride, but I want to lighten it up for XC racing. My current XC race bike is a 20.5 lbs hardtail, but I really don't enjoy riding it compared to the Cinco. I'm curious how light I could get the Cinco. To be honest I don't even know what the frame weighs --I do know that the bike is around 27.5 as it sits. A true weight weenie would take every part off the bike, weigh it and compare that to the weight other available parts. Who has time for that? So I'm asking for you all to post your Cinco weights and maybe some highlights of your build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a cinco set up for xc its a fantastic bike. It is set up with a saltamontes (?) 4" travel linkage. the thing that makes all the difference is the wheels, I am running American Classics with Kenda tires and stans its so fast . It is my favorite bike and I have a ybb and Eriksen hardtail to compare it to. So do it
    Happy with the Moots

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A Cinco is never going to be a terribly effective race bike. A nice comfy XC cruiser yes but never a real whippersnapper. The frame is just too heavy - 6.2lbs if I remember. If you look in the photo thread there's a guy who has a quite blinged out Cinco coming in at 27.5lb asking the same question as you.

With the latest and greatest bits something around 25lb should be possible. If you want a glance at the real dark side though go to the Speedgoat site and check out their 4inch travel 18.89lb raceable carbon blur (it even has tubes in the tires!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haworth
    A Cinco is never going to be a terribly effective race bike. A nice comfy XC cruiser yes but never a real whippersnapper. The frame is just too heavy - 6.2lbs if I remember. If you look in the photo thread there's a guy who has a quite blinged out Cinco coming in at 27.5lb asking the same question as you.

With the latest and greatest bits something around 25lb should be possible. If you want a glance at the real dark side though go to the Speedgoat site and check out their 4inch travel 18.89lb raceable carbon blur (it even has tubes in the tires!).
    I had a set NoTube ZTR Race 7000 with some light tires laying around that dropped it down to 25.9 lbs. That's raceworthy I suppose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That blur is pretty impressive, the frame is 2 lbs lighter than the Cinco so theoretically you could build a cinco up at 20.89 if you where equally obsessive, Think I will keep mine as is.
    Happy with the Moots

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My Ti Smoothie has a little less travel but at just under 25# I had no problem getting onto the podium last year on it. Although a discontinued model, it's not too hard to find one for sale on e-bay. If you really want a raceable Moots fully.

mtbr member
    Mines about 26 pounds...I am sure you could get it to 24 pounds, but I went for reliability...its the sweetest bike I have ever ridden

I have Magura Marta SL carbon lever brakes...they are super powerful, and the lightest out there

Also the old Spinergy xycones are light wheels...I run them with Stans notube and a regular tyre

I am sure you could go super light at great expense...my suggestions to lose 2 pounds over my current build would be Tswiss carbon forks (or Magura Durin), Crossmax SLs, Crankbrothers triple Ti, XTR (although the New Race Face Next carbon cranks are lighter), carbon seatposts and stem (the Moots versions are prettier in my opinion but slightly heavier)
    Attached Images Attached Images

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    really nice bike. I am looking to build one to keep my yeti 575 company

mtbr member
    Sweet Ride.. which FOX fork are you running on your Cinco? Is it a Talus? It weighs in at 25lbs? I just purchased a Cinco used via eBay and its paired up w a RockShox Team Pike fork.. I am really partial to Fox so I am likely going to look at selling the Pike..
    Last edited by schneidw; 06-16-2009 at 04:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just built up a Mootaineer over the last year and attached is the latest pic. 'Scuse the presentation as it gets about 25 miles a week right now and I had broken the rear suspension down to send photos to Moots (broke the pin on the top of the shock, but totally my fault, not theirs).

It's down to 24.5 lbs and is a large frame. You can see most of what I've got but what you probably can't are lunarlight tubes (no issues so far), ti/al hardware where I can, ESI grips, and the post is a Thomson Masterpiece (250mm road size). I've also cut down my bars as far as you can go and still get gripshifts and barends on (tried no barends and can't do it). SRAM X.0 gripshift and rear der. Also I use a bolt on skewer in the rear which cuts down about 30-40g off of a decent skewer. So.... You can do it!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    uh, forgot the pic..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    they are Fox F120 RLC from 2008. For 2010 they are calling them the 32F series. The 32 F120 is the lightest in its class according to the website. It gets 5 inches travel at a weight of 3.4 pounds. The Talas seems to be adjustable from 4 to 6 inches but gives away an extra pound in weight at 4.4 pounds.

The F120 RLC is a sweet fork, incredibly plush and very reliable. I think this year the 32F series has this new very lightweight thru-axle system developed by Fox