mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any DIY Disc Brake Adapters?

I've seen a few, but was wondering if anyone else has made something for their YBB. Yes, I know Moots can do it, but I'm not about to wait around for 4-5 weeks and spend $425 bucks + shipping there and back on an 11 y/o frame!

Sure they refurbish, and put on pretty stickers, but I don't care about that, I just want a little disc tab welded on. That's it! Some of you in the past have said "it's worth it..." "just do it", but lets not get into that..not going to happen. Easy to say when it's not your $425 hard-earned dollars

I've seen one adapter made from a bmx stem and some others using machined pieces, some aftermarket adapters. The problem is most aftermarket adapters are for non-Breezer type dropouts, plus these (like the Brake Therapy) adapters are about $160 and only fit post-mount calipers. I need to fit IS calipers.

Any other YBB DIY or ghetto-made adapters? Thanks.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Spooooon!
    You could sell the YBB and buy a bike that has what you really want. Other than that . . . old farmers use bailing wire and duct tape to fix combines, so maybe it would work for you. It sounds like you've covered all the options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    You could sell the YBB and buy a bike that has what you really want. Other than that . . . old farmers use bailing wire and duct tape to fix combines, so maybe it would work for you. It sounds like you've covered all the options.
    hmm...uh, okay

This is what i've seen here on mtbr

Adding a disk brake to a non disk SS bike?

now anyone with some real experience making a disc adapter for our moots'?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Time vs money. Take the all time you're spending trying to figure out how to be cheap and earn extra money. Use said extra money to solve problem.

Many of the smaller ti frame builders will tack on just a mount for approx half the cost of a Moots full refurb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haworth
    Many of the smaller ti frame builders will tack on just a mount for approx half the cost of a Moots full refurb.
    great. Do you know which companies will do this?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    great. Do you know which companies will do this?
    A couple of years ago I called Carl Strong to put a disk mount on my Merlin because Litespeed wanted $500. I'm not sure of the price. But he was too busy making frames since it was in the spring/early summer. He said check back in the winter. Then I ended up selling the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    A couple of years ago I called Carl Strong to put a disk mount on my Merlin because Litespeed wanted $500. I'm not sure of the price. But he was too busy making frames since it was in the spring/early summer. He said check back in the winter. Then I ended up selling the bike.
    Who is he and what company is he with? Any contact info? Thanks

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    Who is he and what company is he with? Any contact info? Thanks
    http://www.strongframes.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Dang I was going to say Strong as well! I've also heard of ti cycles fixing up a Moots. Depending where you are mosey on down to a plugged in LBS and inquire about local frame builders - there's probably someone fairly local who could do the job.

slow
    Running my '97 YBB as a mullet, disk in front and V brakes in back. Works very well and is cheap. I live a couple of blocks from BlackSheep, and I've heard James could install a disk tab, but I haven't needed one, so I have not checked into the cost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Had a Ti disc mount welded on by Harry Havnoonian a few years back.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Find a frame builder that works Ti close to your home, and get them to do the welding, I bet you could contact Moots and buy the Ti disc tab, and any welder that works Ti can stick it on. I would be careful to choose someone that knows how to work Ti, has experence with the positioning of the tab, or a jig for it, or you could easily ruin the frame by triing to go cheap, and having some hack weld on the tab in the wrong place, or with poor welds.
    X-post to the frame builders forum and they can help you find someone to do the work.