mtbr member

Is 3 inch travel bike okay? thinking of a AL moots smoothie?

I am in the market for a "quasi" full suspension bike. I love fast single track, bunny hopping logs and small drops. I love feeling of acceleration, when I am hammering up a hill or racing back to the car. My current rigs are a titanium softtail and steel single speed w/ curved seatstays. I love both bikes. I get some nice vertical compliance with my current set-ups, but a little bit squishness might be more enjoyable.

I ride single track and some intense downhill. I like picking my line and shooting downhill as opposed to just flying over everything.

I know that the new rear shocks greatly impove pedal bob on most bikes.

I do not think I need 4 inches of rear travel, 5 inches seems like overkill. I think 3 inches should be great for what I want to ride. I have been eyeing the moots aluminum smoothie. I have read that new shock has improved the bikes performance.

There are a few other 3 inch travel bikes out there...or should I get the 4 in travel bike?

thanks

Chrome Toaster
    I think there are better bikes for the money. Don't judge the bike based on the amount of travel. There are plenty of bikes with more travel than the smoothie which will give better ride quality, better suspension performance, and better pedaling efficiency even without platform shocks. Some good examples, Titus Racer-X and Intense Spider but theres many more.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

One to think about...

Ventana El Salty. They have a 3 inch travel rocker option (3/4/5 actually).

If you decide that you want 4" later you'll be set.

That said. There are some great short travel bikes out there. Ventana El Feugo, Titus Racer X, Turner Burners and 02 (if you could find one!), Intense Spider (??), and a few others. I live in the midwest and have not found the need for a longer or even a mid travel bike.

With many of the bigger companies duallies getting more travel they are also getting higher standover, and slacker head tube angles. Not the best for twisty and tight singletrack. There are some smaller builders who may get it, but I woulnd't count on it from the bigger co's.

I too think that more than 3- 3 1/2 is overkill. If I end up out west where I would want a longer travel bike... then I'll either rent (if it's vacation) or buy (if I move). But for Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio... I don't see the need for more.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    I am in the market for a "quasi" full suspension bike. I love fast single track, bunny hopping logs and small drops. I love feeling of acceleration, when I am hammering up a hill or racing back to the car. My current rigs are a titanium softtail and steel single speed w/ curved seatstays. I love both bikes. I get some nice vertical compliance with my current set-ups, but a little bit squishness might be more enjoyable.

I ride single track and some intense downhill. I like picking my line and shooting downhill as opposed to just flying over everything.

I do not think I need 4 inches of rear travel, 5 inches seems like overkill. I think 3 inches should be great for what I want to ride. I have been eyeing the moots aluminum smoothie. I have read that new shock has improved the bikes performance.

There are a few other 3 inch travel bikes out there...or should I get the 4 in travel bike?

thanks
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Ventana El Salty. They have a 3 inch travel rocker option (3/4/5 actually).

If you decide that you want 4" later you'll be set.

That said. There are some great short travel bikes out there. Ventana El Feugo, Titus Racer X, Turner Burners and 02 (if you could find one!), Intense Spider (??), and a few others. I live in the midwest and have not found the need for a longer or even a mid travel bike.

With many of the bigger companies duallies getting more travel they are also getting higher standover, and slacker head tube angles. Not the best for twisty and tight singletrack. There are some smaller builders who may get it, but I woulnd't count on it from the bigger co's.

I too think that more than 3- 3 1/2 is overkill. If I end up out west where I would want a longer travel bike... then I'll either rent (if it's vacation) or buy (if I move). But for Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio... I don't see the need for more.

Good luck,

JmZ
    Guess who builds the front triangle of the Moots AL Smoothie?
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    i have a yeti 575 and may be moving to michigan from massachusetts? i have too much travel? is it really that flat out there?

ant

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Depends on where and who you ask...

I'm in Indiana and we've got people with 5 Spots who are happy with 'em and it's flatter in the Northern Indiana than some parts of Michigan.

I think 3 inches of travel is enough for Indiana, but not everyone agrees with me.

I wouldn't worry, if it's too much, there's always a hardtail.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    i have a yeti 575 and may be moving to michigan from massachusetts? i have too much travel? is it really that flat out there?

ant
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!

thanks
    Up till recently, when I built up a light XC 3" travel bike, I would have thought that I could not tolerate anything under 5" as I have been spoiled.......However, I am blown away by how much I love my new short travel rig. I built it up for longer rides and racing but am finding I am riding it way more for general riding than I thought I would. This is probably because amount of travel is only a single parameters and given this bike has very quality travel and quality components, it is an incredible all around bike.......much more so than I would have thought. Having said all this....it depends on your riding but I truly believe that for most people (me included) 3" is more than enought for the vast majority of riding. Sure there are exceptions but those people are not asking these types of questions. I am as guilty as the next person in getting caught up in the marketing hype.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It depends a lot on your riding style and what terrain you ride. If you enjoy standing up and using your legs to absorb the hits, then 3" will be fine. If, like me, you prefer to stay seated and let the bike do the work then you need 5". It's as simple as that really. I've ridden both and prefer the reduced rider workload of efficient longer travel bikes. On the trails I ride, short travel bikes are very tiring and slower than well set up long travel bikes. People always go on and on about pedal bob and loss of efficiency with long travel XC bikes, but I've found that this is nothing compared to the energy required to stand up and use your legs as shock absorbers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f
    Guess who builds the front triangle of the Moots AL Smoothie?
    Tell me, tell me!!