REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!

WTF: Black diamond garbage integrated head!

The black diamond single - triple is a pretty sweet frame!, but not if you want to put a fork with a 1.5 sterror tube on it...

This may come as a shock to you all due to the fact that all black diamond frames are equiped with a 1.5 head tube... but the engineers who designed that frame are a bunch of idiots because they made the head tube to take integrated headsets! First off, integrated headsets are for roady/ goater bikes. they are made to save weight, and are not known for their durability, which leaves me a little sceptic seeing that they put it on a line of bikes that are made to take nothing but extensive abuse...

Thats not even the kicker! The whole plot on this is that the only headsets even compatible for an integrated 1.5 head tube are from cane creek and FSA, and they only make them in 1.5 - 1 1/8 reducer headsets!

I looked and looked and looked for a 1.5 -1.5 integrated head set, only to find that it doesn't exist , and can never exist because there isn't enough room for the bearings in an integrated head set to accomedate an actual 1.5 head tube!

WHY WOULD THEY MAKE A 1.5 HEAD TUBE SET UP WHEN IT CAN ONLY TAKE 11/8 IN THE FIRST PLACE!
    I have a brand new Totem solo air 1.5 that I was going to slap on this frame, but no.. I CAN"T NOW! F)(*&#%_( Bull$#!T...

MONGOOSE,, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THAT BIG DETAIL GOT PAST YOUR ENTIRE STAFF AND BUILD TEAM!!! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THINKING!!!!!!?
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

Spreadin the love...
    It's not a 1.5 headtube...it's a 1.5 zerostack headtube. It's purpose is to keep a low bar height, better geo. The plus is you get a better headest, save weight and it looks nicer. And contrary to your belief, they are NOT weak! EVERY BMX bike on the planet runs an integrated. And if you think they don't get f'ing hammered, you're watching the wrong street vids! Also, the "headtube" is not integrated, the headset CUPS are. So I'm not even 100% convinced you can't just order a 1.5 headset yet. Call E13, FSA, Cane Creek, etc who make a 1.5" headset and get the O.D. on the cup sleeves and then check it against the I.D. on the BD.

If you're handy with a mill or atleast have access to people with a mill it can be done in about an hour. I've done it on a 1.5 zerostack frame, no biggie.
    I guess I'm shocked that you're shocked. I can't really think of as many frames off hand that run a 1.5 headset as I can frames that run the 1.5 zerostack.
    If no mill maybe just get a bigger hammer and put that temper to better use.

Man...and I'm usually the one ranting about something!
    Last edited by thrillseeker; 08-26-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Spreadin the love...
    Yeah...I'm not sure what you searched under, but "1.5 headset" on Google brings up plenty of options and the more I look at them and the 1.5"-1.12" conversion cups, I don't really see what the problem is. You DO know that you have to take the conversion cups OUT, right? Gotta ask...Check the O.D./I.D. and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My New Black Diamond Triple

I have a 1.5 totem solo air on my goose and it works great with the fsa big fat pig headset no problem at all been downhilling at diablo with it many times and not a problem..check out the link to my BDT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEST
    My New Black Diamond Triple

I have a 1.5 totem solo air on my goose and it works great with the fsa big fat pig headset no problem at all been downhilling at diablo with it many times and not a problem..check out the link to my BDT.
    +1
    I have a 2007 Black Diamond Single and I run a 2007 Marzocchi 66 sl1 ATA with a 1.5'' steerer tube. And it works perfectly with a F.S.A Big Fat Pig 1.5'' headset.