mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Want to get a Teocali frame: are the '08, '09, '10 frames different?

The more and more glowing reviews I read about Freedrive the more I become convinced that the Mongoose Teocali is the right frame and suspension design for me (I particularly like the idea of the high-pivot backward wheelpath that eats up square-edged hits since I enjoy plowing down the hill on my magic carpet instead of concerning myself with annoying things like "proper line" )

Anyway, are there any functional differences in the Teocali frames such as bug fixes or geometry changes? It looks like there were some updates from 2007, but after that they seem like they are the same. Did '09 or '10 models get more rear travel? I want to avoid the older models before '08 because of threads like this one:
    Mongoose is crap, here is the proof
    I'm hoping they've worked the bugs out by now...

The reason I ask is that I'm considering walking into Performance and pickup up a Teocali Comp for cheap, moving all the crap components over to my Sette Flite and building up the Teocali with the Flite's much nicer stuff (XTR, 2010 RS Revelation, Race Face NEXT carbon cranks, WTB Speeddisc wheels, etc).

ALSO, what is the shock size for the Teocali? Does it change year to year? I have a 190x50 Rock Shox MC3.3 and a 5th Element Coil and I'm wondering if I can keep those around as backup shocks for the Teocali.

EDIT: I'm 170lbs, maybe 180lbs with camelbak. I like to do dirt jumps and drops no more than 3 feet. My other option is another Sette Flite AM (I currently ride a small size but realized I need a medium). The burlier Flite looks like it can handle more abuse, but the Teocali has a better suspension design imo...
    Last edited by derailin_palin; 02-14-2010 at 02:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So I went for a test ride on a 2009 Teocali Comp. Didn't really like it for what I am looking for - a burly 6" trail bike. The Epicon rear shock is kind of weak and I can easily bottom the shock doing bunny hops and such. My Sette Flite feels great even with the RS MC3.3 shock, and with the 5th element coil it feels absolutely plush and perfect. I tried to pedal sitting and standing to gauge the feel of the Freedrive suspension. I noticed the "rubber chain" feel very slightly, and the bike pedaled well while sitting. The main thing I didn't like was that it just didn't feel like the advertised 145mm of rearl travel, it felt more like a 125mm to me. There is no way a coil shock would fit on that frame and even with an RP23 on there I think it is just not enough travel for AM riding with jumps and drops. All that said, it would make a great trail bike, but it's just not for me.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    I jump mine...Teocali is more "Trail" than AM..If you want AM, the Khyber is a better bet..
    Love my Teocali..I use it for scouting and "regular" rides and use the SXT for damaging my body
    You should really try to ride a Super before you judge..
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDucGoose
    I jump mine...Teocali is more "Trail" than AM..If you want AM, the Khyber is a better bet..
    Love my Teocali..I use it for scouting and "regular" rides and use the SXT for damaging my body
    You should really try to ride a Super before you judge..
    Yeah, I thought that 145mm travel of the Teocali would be enough, but it wasn't. It might have been the crappy Epicon shock that blows through its travel and bottoms hard, but it did not feel like an AM bike. I have a feeling that even with a more well behaved and progressive shock it just wouldn't be enough. The Khyber looks interesting. It has standard 135mm rear dropouts but 1.5" head tube.

What?
    the 2007 model has a shock with a 2'' stroke and diffrent leverage ratio compared to the 2009 and 2010 2.25'' stroke. I have taken mine downhilling before and it took the abuse just fine. the epicon rear shock works ok if you take the time to dial it in but i would recommend upgrading it if you can. www.performancebike.com has the teocali elite onsale for 1300 (1100 if you buy it today) and it comes with a marzocchi 44tst2 fork and a fox rp2 shock which are nice upgrades. 145mm travel is enough for AM if you have it set up correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My Sette Flite has 145mm rear travel and it just feels bottomless due to the falling leverage ratio and progressive shock. The Teocali did not even pass the parking lot bunny hop test, it just bottomed hard. I put in about 140 psi into the Epicon shock (I weigh 170lbs).

What?
    i only weigh 160 and i have 160 psi in mine. the epicon shock is pretty crappy and needs to be upgraded but the free drive system makes it worth buying the bike. its the best feeling rear suspention i have ever used ( 04 kona dawg and gt idrive are what i have to compare it to)

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by derailin_palin
    Yeah, I thought that 145mm travel of the Teocali would be enough, but it wasn't. It might have been the crappy Epicon shock that blows through its travel and bottoms hard, but it did not feel like an AM bike. I have a feeling that even with a more well behaved and progressive shock it just wouldn't be enough. The Khyber looks interesting. It has standard 135mm rear dropouts but 1.5" head tube.
    Teocali has 1.5 headtube too but uses 1.125 steerer...
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    I have heard lots of bad stuff about the stock shock on the teocali. If you want an affordable upgrade I have had lots of luck with my Xfusion 02RL dual chamber. Less expensive than fox and other bigger names but I find it hard to find fault with the shock.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt
    I have heard lots of bad stuff about the stock shock on the teocali. If you want an affordable upgrade I have had lots of luck with my Xfusion 02RL dual chamber. Less expensive than fox and other bigger names but I find it hard to find fault with the shock.
    Only the teocali comp has a bad rear shock, the elite and super come with fox shocks stock

Pee's in the H8teraid
    RP23 is a great shock..One of the best air shocks.
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ