Trail Rider
    Jun 2009

Trouble with the Schwinn's chain skipping

Got about 70 miles on my Schwinn Sidewinder now. Its a 7 speed and I've been pedaling it around on the roads, nothing crazy, mostly pavement and lots of hills. I road about 20 miles today and the chain started skipping when I get on the crank with any force. I checked out the chainrings and the middle ring(which is what I typically use) has a fairly jacked up tooth that I think its the main culpret. The entire chainring seems to be warped too.

The cassette seems warped as well.

Like I said, cheap components.

Its a cheap bike, but until I have the funds to pick up something decent, its gotta work for me so I can keep riding.

I definately like the idea of ditching the small and large rings for a 1x? setup, since I've only been using the middle anyway. Are there any decent cranks sets I can purchase with single chainrings, without paying a fortune?

Should I stick with 7 speeds(its been enough so far)? If I move up to an 8-9 speed, won't I have to swap the rear hubs as well? I've got a Sram ESP rear derailer, and it seems to be holding up fine for now, and Sram 7 speed grip shifts. If I move to a 9 speed, I'll probably just pick up some X7s.

Suggestions on replacements on either course of action?

I'd rather not get top-of-the-line products as that money would be better used for a newer bike later on. However, since I've got to fix the bike anyway, might as well step it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Take your bike into a real shop and let them adjust the gears. I am sure that the bike was not built that great. The hanger more than likely was bent in shipping. Bike shops have a tool to realign the hanger. You may also be able to return the bike and buy a entry level bike in a bike shop. Buy the time you pay for the repair on your gears, a bike shop bike should not cost that much more.