Trail Shredder

Thinkin about getting a 26 inch Mongoose Xr 75

Should I? Are they crappy? I saw one in wal mart, looked pretty good. I thought I'd ask before investing.

asthmatic
    Well I just purchased one, not a serious biker, got it from Wal-mart. I can't believe how far bikes have come, independent rear supsension etc. I would have loved to have this bike on some trails I have riden in the past that required something like this. Again, no professional but I love this bike! $94 too.

EDIT: I just got to reading some reviews and most bikers put their thumbs down for this one, said it doesn't withstand anything beyond light trails. I did notice the front tire rubbing on the brake a little, hopefully fixable. I guess if you are going to be getting it for light stuff you should get it, otherwise it sounds like it will break. Now I am just waiting for it lol, DOH!
    Last edited by Blades24; 06-30-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    Mongoose XR-75 owner

Trail Shredder
    were the reviews on here?
    Once you go Downhill, you never go back... I hope.

xr75 rider
    Oct 2011

Smile

ive had mine for a year and i agree it is not meant for heavy abuse but it makes a great road bike i use mine every day and she still looks like new

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're just riding on the road, then you're much better off getting something fully rigid. It'll pedal better, be lighter, and with less maintenance. The suspension on the XR doesn't do much anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Upset Do Not buy this bike

I bought a Mongoose XR-75 at Wal Mart for $135. The second time riding it the left crank arm fell off (that attaches the pedal to the bike!). I re-attached it with a socket set and it continued to fall off again and again. Also the right crank arm and the handlebars started to loosen. I brought it to a bike shop in town and they found the crank arm assembly was stripped. This is after less than a week of owning this bike. I called the company, per the big customer help phone number on the manual, and Cherri, the customer service rep who answered, was not helpful! She actually bordered on rude, going immediately into defense mode when I told her about my problem. I returned the bike to Wal-Mart, thanks Wal-Mart for your great return policy, and bought another bike at the bike shop I brought this bike to for service. End result: a lot of hassle and grease on my rug for no reason!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Its ok for a road and light trail bike.

I just got back into cycling. I recentley bought mine used for $50.00. So far so good. The only complaint i have is the rear spring squeeks after a long ride and the front brake rubs. I susspect that is because of the crap wheels.
    Thinkin about getting a 26 inch Mongoose Xr 75-2013-07-18-18.58.18.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Your stem looks high. Make sure the minimum insertion line isn't visible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Your stem looks high. Make sure the minimum insertion line isn't visible.
    thanks for the advice. No line visable

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Let me also just echo what's been said in the other Mongoose XR threads. Enjoy the bike, fix it, tune it, adjust it, but don't spend your money upgrading it. It's much more cost effective to save up and buy a better bike when/if you get to that point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Let me also just echo what's been said in the other Mongoose XR threads. Enjoy the bike, fix it, tune it, adjust it, but don't spend your money upgrading it. It's much more cost effective to save up and buy a better bike when/if you get to that point.
    +1
    saving up for a giant or a trek (not to go off topic)