mtbr member

Suspension question

I ride a blackcomb and I was just curious will a 100mm front fork work on my bike that came with a 50mm fork? Will the bike sit funny?

Thanks!
    -Nathan
    Mongoose Blackcomb, WTB saddle, RST FS, Disk brakes, Needs new tires lol

ChiliPepper1
    100mm travel fork would work fine without changing the geometry and feel of riding, and if it does, it would be basically a moot thing because it would be so minute. I have a Blackcomb that I made my build project and I have a 130mm Mantiou Minute fork I installed on mine along with changing out the rear shock as well to a RS SID.

Just make sure that your steerer tube is long enough. That is of dire importance! If you can get an 8" or better steerer tube, you are going to be fine, but make sure it is a standard 1-1/8" steerer tube. I will send a pic of my Blackcomb through a PM, but I am leaving this afternoon for a weekend camping and FR trip to our beloved santos and will not be able to return any messages until late Sunday.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    It'll definately change the way it sits... more importantly, it might angle the bike in a way it wasn't designed, leading it to a break in the frame.

If you're gonna get a bigger fork, I'd think REAL hard before even going up to an 80mm.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
    It'll definately change the way it sits... more importantly, it might angle the bike in a way it wasn't designed, leading it to a break in the frame.

If you're gonna get a bigger fork, I'd think REAL hard before even going up to an 80mm.
    Not to start anything, but a bigger fork????? It is only 50mm travel more bro, not a 100 or so! I have a 130mm and it has been working just fine for 3 years now, and thats even hucking it off 7' drops and jumping 3' plus jumps. Makes a great trail bike now. Not saying you are incorrect though bro, but 100mm is pretty much the standard travel fork now-a-days. Anyways, the way that frame is designed, it will handle a 130 or less. I know a few Blackcomb riders that have changed over to a 100mm travel fork. Good luck bro!

~Disc~Golf~
    7' drops??
    Blackcomb??
    prove it w/ pics bro
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1
    Not to start anything.......Good luck bro!
    Welcome back BlackDiamond-1.

mtbr member
    Is 13" steer tube to long for my bike?
    Mongoose Blackcomb, WTB saddle, RST FS, Disk brakes, Needs new tires lol

ChiliPepper1
    You will need to cut it down to at least 8 inches and then utilize full to half spacers if needed. You may be able to get away with 8.5 to 9 inches as well, but 13 inches is way too long for your bike bro. I believe the common is around 8" anyways. Good luck bro!

You can always cut it to the exact length as the steerer tube you have presently, just use the same heatset, spacers, and stem you have with your bike now.
    Last edited by ChiliPepper1; 10-08-2009 at 04:22 AM.