mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New question here. Suspension Pivot Point

Hello, first post here... I am working on disassembling my frame so it can be re painted. I have everything stripped off except I can not figure out how to seperate the main frame from the rear triangle. There is a allen key bolt that I have removed from one side. The other side has a slightly larger allen key hole, but I can get it to turn.

Thanks for any suggestions!

mtbr member
    What model and make of bike is it? This posting should have been placed in the manufacturer specific forum for your bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sorry forgot to list that. It is a 98 Mongoose D70x. I can post up some pictures tomorrow of each side of the pivot point.

Wasnt sure it would have fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here are some pics of each side of the pivot point.

Left side:

Right side:

The left side with the bolt can be easily removed, but can not figure out what to do on the right side as it wont budge. Even with some light tapping on the wrench with a hammer...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just took mine apart a few weeks ago. Nothing too it. But I really dont see why you would want to do this. You risk messing up that bushing. Its made of a hard plastic. The D60 is made of metal. I got both the d70 and d60. I broke my frame on the 70 so I used the 60 frame which is exactly the same other than the color. Stick the bolt you took out back in about 4 turns. And hit it with hammer. The bushings are pressed into the frame and that will knock it out a little. You could get another bolt (longer) same thread as the one in there and pound it out. Then the other side bushing will need to be hammered out. I used a 14mm deep well socket. Also check for cracks near the head tube. How long is the frame warranty on a Mongoose aluminum frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am stripping the original finish off and it would be easier to get in between the two frames. But I just decided to work around it... I didn't want to risk messing up the pivot point...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You see those cracks in my head tube? Inspect yours real good. Look on the inside of the tube as I believe that is were it started.