CTB
    mtbr member

Straight 8 Front Fork Max?

Can a Straight 8 handle an 8" front fork? With the rear having 8.5" of travel (2001), I wondered if one can match that travel up front. Thanks.

mtbr member
    i think you'll be ok... now post pictures
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    No pictures yet. In fact, still a cracked Straight 8 yet, but this winter I plan on having my buddy weld it. 7005 stress relieves on its own if you let it sit, so with the right filler, we should be able to fix the frame. I'm just noodling what I'd do if 1) I had downhills here, and 2) I decided to 86 the Monster T that's on the front of it now (7") and get something newer/more travel to slack it out. I managed to locate the "L" shock plates for it, so that will help slack it out as well. Mine only came with the "H" plates, so I'm happy about that.

mtbr member
    them Low plates are hard to come by... i have the High's lying around somewhere
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    That's cuz everyone installed the L's and never looked back. I now have two sets of H and one set of L. I was going to make my own, but then I found these. Way less trouble. Simple plates, really, if you have the time and tools, but this avoids that.

I realized that I also have some real estate on the fork - the tubes aren't all the way down in the clamps, so I'm betting with the L plates and full extension on the fork, this will be at a reasonable modern head angle. Oh, and mine has a 24" rear wheel. Not cool when it comes to tire choice, and I don't have a spare Edco or Hadley laying around to lace up a 26. But it does make it more slack.

First things first...gotta strip 'er down and get that upper pivot clamp welded.

mtbr member
    my buddy thinks it's funny/cool that i'm still riding on an old azz bike.. i told him i'll upgrade when the derailleur hanger breaks off the chainstay.. hopefully the welding will work out! pictures pictures pictures!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    I put pics up when I first got it, but then I took them down. This was an eBay purchase, and the seller was a *#&%. The bike was packed horribly in a rickety box that didn't stand up, esp since everything was just loose in the box. All the original decals got screwed up, along with the paint and the chain guide, and UPS cut the front brake line because the bars/etc were hanging out of the box. On top of all that, the upper pivot bracket was cracked. I was denied any refund from eBay, so I'm stuck with making the most of it.

These were taken shortly after I got it last year. I've since removed the non-Schwinn decal (except the "CHIN" decals). I got some replacement SCHWINN decals for it that I'll put on once I'm done fixing it. The pedals were just so I could ride it around the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    what ever you do DON'T put an " A " after the N! please! for the bike's own self respect!!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    what fork are you going with?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    No worries. Chin was the previous owner's name, and while that is the last syllable of my last name, I won't be continuing that style of decoration.

I read some reviews, and it seems that the Monster T was well-liked in its time. As I said, I have almost no use for this bike, I just wanted to have one in the event I ever make it to a place where I can really use it. I like Fox forks (love my 36 RC2), so a 40 RC2 would be nice (NOT with CTD). Heard good things about the modern Dorados as well, as well as the Boxxer. But again, this is just me noodling things in my head. Nice to plan out what you'd do if you could. Ultimately would like a set of Mavic DeeMax wheels, too, just because I like Mavic and I like the iconic yellow. The ones on the bike are Atomlabs.

mtbr member
    if i can ever sell my car i'm eyeballing the fox40 upgrade
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    CHRISSSSS!!! DH race yesterday there were several racing with single crown's
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    I heard rumors that you were out of shape. Just messing with you - glad you were out there, and not DFL! Someday I hope to try something like that.

mtbr member
    take your skirt off and get on to it!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    Ain't about a skirt, it's about an unwelded frame with about 500 things that are higher priority. Esp in the deep freeze we have up here in Sh*ttown.

mtbr member
    got a 4banger don't ya?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    The 4-Banger is now my road bike (which I got to use on Friday in the fluke warm weather we had). My Tracer is my trail bike. It's all moot, cuz I don't ride in 20 degree weather.