mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Straight 6-8 parts (pull socks)

I will post a few pics later on about parts...

Which is exactly the difference between these models (all of them pull socks)?

-Straight 6
    -Straight 8

I do not know if there were 2 different pull socks stragih8 models:

one with the swinarm directely connected to the sock ,and other with "parts" (sorry for my english do not know if calling them levers is correct) connecting both swingarm and sock. Or was this the difference between 6 & 8.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Here's what I know. I've included links to the scanned pages online, where available. I have all these catalogs if you wanted to see the actual pages.

The pull-shock Straight 6 (1998) was quite similar to the pull-shock Straight 8. Obviously, the name is the amount of travel it has - the 6 had 6 inches, the 8 had 8 inches. However, I think while they looked similar, they were largely different bikes. The main frame may have shared tubes, but the shock attachments and entire rear suspension were different. The bike is in this PDF file from Bonustomato:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...07BmoUw51PeJ3A

The 1st generation Straight 8 (1999) had a pull-shock with no linkage on it. This was the black/gold one you see often. The pull-shock Straight 6 was discontinued at this point.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...0/1999_04.html

The 2nd generation Straight 8 (2000) pull-shock model had a linkage at the shock. The original was criticized for not having a progressive rate suspension, so Schwinn added the linkage to make it progressive.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...0/2000_11.html

Finally, the last version of the Straight 8 (2001) had a conventional push shock and was pretty much different from the pull-shock models. Again, the main triangle tubes might be shared, but the shock attachments and seatstay arm are not. The droplinks and chainstay swingarm might be shared. At this time, the 2nd generation Straight 6 (the one that looks like a 4-Banger) was introduced into the lineup.

So...the most parts shared would be the main triangle frame tubes for the original pull-shock models. Other than that, nothing was shared from what I can tell - not the shock mount, not the rear suspension, etc.
    Last edited by CTB; 04-16-2009 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Do yo think that you could skip the linkage of the 2nd gen straight 8 pull sock and conect directely the swingarm and the shock like in the 1st gen straight 8? This would only happen if the swingarms are the same of course
    I know this idea is weird but i will explain later :-)

The other question is if the swingarm of the all the 6 & 8 versions (all pull ones) are the same and what changes is the rest of the rear suspension: droplinks, shock, linkages chainstay...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    this is the reason to ask for this, i just got it NOS front frame with an extra parts front frame also in red and a few items including the ringle lawill hub, hayes brake... It brings a different rockShox to the one in the catalog you posted above CTM. Maybe the last units used this one. i am not into DH so in principle it is gonna be on my wall

I keep looking for a straight6 01 but in the meantime i keep finding other things... I am nuts :-(

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm still not sure why you'd want to eliminate the linkage. You should build up the bike and sell it if you don't want to ride it yourself. A NOS Straight 8 could get you plenty of money to use for your Straight 6 search. They still fetch pretty good money on Ebay - I know, I've been watching them all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If the opportunnity arises i may change it for a straight06 18" 2001, but for now it will be on the wall fitted with a manitou dorado SC...

i am trying to get info about all parts of the 3 models to know as much as possible about them in case i can get a parts model like the one i got for the 4banger.
    Like we say over here... "Estoy empezando la casa por el tejado: i am beggining to build the house from the roof"

CTB
    mtbr member
    Luis, you're going to be my parts source someday.

I like your saying, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi guys, still building this... :-) i have been busy building my cannondales & merlin extralight lately
    I have one question regarding the rear brake:
    It is designed for a 22mm Hayes caliper and i have 2 in excellent condition + another well used one so no problem there but i would like to use Hope C2 Pro brakes an wonder what kind of adaptor do i need or how to do it...

I know that hope has a lot of calipers numbers 2,3,4... but i do not know what would be the right one or the closest or more practical to choose

smell my finger

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Does anyone know if the floating brake arm from a Straight 6 will fit the Straight 8?

CTB
    mtbr member
    I can't say for sure, but don't forget you'll be sentencing yourself to 22mm post mount adapters if you do install one. The 2001 push-shocker had 51mm IS, IIRC. I've always thought the pull shock S6 and S8 were pretty much the same bike - anyone know for sure?

Crazy about Homegrowns
    I didn't think about the brake issue.

I went to take a look at the rear end I bought for my S8, and lo and behold, it's got a floating brake setup on it with a Hayes caliper!
    I guess I should pay more attention to my stuff before I stuff them under the workbench!

mtbr member
    i don't think the chain stays are the same between the S6 & S8. ,, 1999-2001 s8 might be interchangeable....

& i really miss the '00 red rocket i had.. ... anyone want to trade!!

i thought i had better pictures..

Last edited by shwinn8; 05-20-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown