mtbr member

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul

Within the last 30 days, I have managed to buy a 2001 Straight 6, all OEM in good shape and a 4 Banger (frame only). So now I am in the process of overhauling them both.

History: In 2001 I bought a Rocket 88 Stage 4 from REI in Austin Tx. Bottom of the line, it was the most I could afford. What I really wanted was the Straight 6 right next to it. I road the wheels off the rocket for years. A few months ago, surfing the web (where else does inspiration come from these days....) I found a Straight 6 for sale on Craigslist in Denver CO. A few days of emails, text and phone calls and the deal was done, the bike in the mail. A day or so after I finished the S6 deal, a 4 Banger came up on CL in Austin Tx. By that time, insanity had set in and the S6 needed a buddy. So deal made, frame in the mail. Let the insanity begin!

Now, I am wallowing in the fun of overhauling and upgrading the S6. The 4B will benifit from lessons learned on the S6 in a few months.

The first place to start is in the suspension. Last night I worked on pulling the suspension bearings with toools at hand-sockets, some washers and a piece of all thread. Worked well so far, Real World Cycles were sourced for new bearings. When they get here, I will reverse the process and install them.

I will work on pictures this weekend.

Welcome to the Schwinn Sanitorium!

Stay tuned.

R88R

mtbr member
    A week later. I have replaced all the suspension bearings in the Rocket 88. Overall it was pretty easy. A few months ago I found a Fox VanillaR rear coil shock. The stock rear shock was a straight vanilla, so the R would add rebound adjustment. Unfortunatly, it was 1/4" long (6.75 vs 6.5) and it mad the lower pivot bar rub on the bottom bracket. So, I took the time to modifiy the lower pivot bar by removing some metal so that the new shock would fit. Mission success! Works like a champ now. Now, I need to move on to the S6 and 4 B bearing overhaul.

mtbr member
    I did take the 4 Banger appart and quickly realized that I might need some advice to put it back together.

CTB, if you are out there, I remember reading in a thread that you have replaced all the bearings in your 4 Banger and the bushings. Can you give my some direction on where tomfind the bushings and how to reassemble the upper pivot for the CF swing arm?

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm here. I can't reply right now, but I will. If I don't, PM me for sure!

Short answer: I got my bushings (not the bearings) from a place called Igus. They were nearly perfect - I just had to sand down the inner face a bit to get the shock trunnion to fit freely. I think I have the part number at home. I got all my bearings from Real World Cycling.

mtbr member
    CTB, I am so junior around here I can't PM or email anyone yet. I need to bump my post rate a bit. I got the bearings from RWC. Got that from a previous post of yours. I will search IGUS for the bushings. I need to find a picture host so I can start to post pics.

The S6 is easy to reassemble, so it will be first. Then the 4B. Can't wait. How is your 4B doing?

mtbr member
    So, anyone know what the ID on the headtube of an S6 or a 4B is? Looking for a new headset. I don't have the tool to puch out the old one yet.

mtbr member
    So, here is a glimpse of my Straight 6 and my 4 Banger finished and ready to go.

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul-dscn0055_zpsb790ae46.jpg

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul-dscn0032_zps7ad0a48c.jpg

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul-dscn0041.jpg

mtbr member
    aww the Homegrown 4Banger... oh' how sexy you are you sexy sexy girl you :* .. luckly the neither the 4banger or S6 have the ICBM headset so you can get pretty much any 1 1/8th head set you want. I"m a fan of Chris King but there are several other options. To get the old cups out, take a punch and hammer, lightly tap the inner cone from through the head tube and it / they will pop out. No special tools needed. Now getting the new headset pressed in, that might need the the headset tool
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    Looking good.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Update to my 4/6 Banger project. Nothing dramatic.
    I upgraded my stem and bar to a Raceface Deus set. Stem-90mm, bar 680mm. The stem is shorter and the bar wider. I like it. I also upgraded the fork lockout. RockShox makes a lockout with a tension nob that lets out make compression adjustment instead of the on/off (no compression or locked out). That is actually the nicest thing I have done.

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul-p3090113_zpsac07213c.jpg
    Cockpit is much nicer now.

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul-p3090109_zpsb5011f45.jpg
    Since I am running a Fox Vanilla R with 2" travel, I figured I would just put my Straight 6 swingarm on there too. Truth in advertising.....

Some stats:
    HTA-at 85mm, 71 degrees/at 130mm 68 degrees
    Note: I have a RS Recon 351 with UTurn Travel adj. 85-130mm. I run about 120mm for about 68.5 degrees.
    BBH-353mm/13 7/8"
    WB-1110mm/43 5/8"
    ETT-607mm23 7/8"
    SoH-744mm/29 1/4"
    ST-483mm/19"
    Weight-13.74kg/30.15lbs

Rear shock set at 140mm/5 1/2" I2I. That was not intentional, that is where it ended up with the best wheel base to head tube angle fit for me. Funny though, that is pretty much what Schwinn specked it at originally.

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul-p3090112_zps652deab3.jpg
    Just one more for the road....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How wide of a bar is that?

mtbr member
    That is a 780mm bar. I wrote 680mm in the original post but I know that is wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Oddly enough I have an almost identical pair of bikes to yours, Rocket88R, in terms of color. I think we both caught the Lawwill bug bad.

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul-64158_3049009936479_787315110_n.jpg
    2001 Schwinn Straight 6 16"
    Chris King headset
    Rock Shox Recon 351
    Mavic Crossroc UST Disc
    Kenda Nevegal tubeless 2.3" tires
    Shimano M775 XT disc brakes
    Shimano M952 shifters and derailleurs
    Shimano XT cassette
    Raceface Turbine ISIS cranks with RF and Blackspire chainrings
    SKF ISIS BB
    Crank Bros 1st generation Eggbeaters
    Thomson Elite 26.8mm seatpost
    Raceface 100mm 5 degree rise stem
    Easton Monkeylite SL handlebar
    SDG Ventura Comp Ti saddle
    Yeti grips

Straight 6 and 4 Banger overhaul-10014838_10202463126511687_911851004_o.jpg
    1999 Schwinn Homegrown 4Banger 19"
    Chris King headset
    Marzocchi Shiver SC
    Mavic Crossmax ST Disc (20mm front hub)
    Kenda Nevegal tubeless 2.1" tires
    Shimano M775 XT disc brakes (203mm front and 180mm rear)
    Shimano M952 drivetrain with M953 cassette
    Thomson Elite 26.8mm seatpost
    Kore Elite 90mm 0 degree stem
    Easton Monkeylite DH handlebar
    SDG Aliso saddle
    ODI/SDG Lock-on grips

The bike needs to go to a LBS for finishing up as I don't have some specialized tools. Otherwise the spec is pretty much there.

This pair of bikes are on opposite sides of the world; when they get reunited there will be some component swapping going on as I reckon the 4banger is more suited for XC/AM while the Straight 6 is more suitable for mucking around. The Straight 6 is actually a little too small for me, and I suspect that the Homegrown is a little too long. I usually ride 17-18 inch medium frames (large if it were a Cannondale). I'm always on the lookout for the perfect frame - then it would be a simple matter of just swapping the components over.

mtbr member
    Cleong,
    I have a 17' 4 Banger in the exact same color as your 19'. I would be interested in trading if it would fit you better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Where are you located, Rocket88R? I'm in Connecticut. I'll give my bike a try and see how it fits me before considering a trade though. If it is really too large I would entertain the possibility of swapping/

mtbr member
    I am down the road in Springfield VA. Sounds good. I have no imediate plans for frame.