mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Stainless, Stainless, Stainles....

I boat on salt water. I know corrosion. I see how some basic fasteners are already rusting on my Mongoose even though the bike is kept in the garage. Go figure......

So I pulled one of each screw that shows signs of rust, and found most or a good replacement at Lowes. The stainless hardware they sell is NOT marine grade, but will not rust if left out in the rain for a few days.

For $6 or $8 bucks, you can replace those low grade chrome/rusty fasteners with some nice stainless that will look good and not rust solid by next year! LOL!

Regards,
    Mark.

mtbr member
    i keep my bikes inside. i don't have the heart to leave them out side let alone in the rain for few days to let them rust. to each is their own though! guess i just care a bit more then others
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    i keep my bikes inside. i don't have the heart to leave them out side let alone in the rain for few days to let them rust. to each is their own though! guess i just care a bit more then others
    Yep, I agree. I store my bikes inside too. But a few weeks ago I was at the shore and had no option to leave them outside. Started to rain right after washing the salt spray off them and lubing everything up. It just killed me to see them sit in the rain. Finally grabbed large trash can bags, cut them down one side and across the bottom to make a small tarp for each bike. Covered the handle bars to just past the seat.

But even if it doesn't rain, you still need to wash off salt from the days ride near the water. Even the alloy parts will corrode if not cleaned and waxed daily. SS is so much more forgiving.

What?
    Your Mongoose is a wally world version, I wouldnt expect it to have stainless hardware.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Your Mongoose is a wally world version, I wouldnt expect it to have stainless hardware.
    DING! DING! DING!

You are INCORRECT!

The 2012 Mongoose Impasse FS is a custom made 29" model for Amazon. Not available through any other retailer.

What?
    Mongoose makes two grades of bike, department store and bike shop. Yours is department store. You can tell this 2 ways. If the emblem on the front of your head tube is a picture of a cartoon mongoose, you have a department store bike. If your bike isnt listed on Mongoose.com, you have a department store bike. In this case, you have both. Buying it from Amazon rather then Walmart doesnt make it a better bike.

Not trying to be a dick, but did you really expect a $300.00 bike to come with stainless hardware? You dont by ground beef and expect it to taste like filet mignon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mongoose makes two grades of bike, department store and bike shop. Yours is department store. You can tell this 2 ways. If the emblem on the front of your head tube is a picture of a cartoon mongoose, you have a department store bike. If your bike isnt listed on Mongoose.com, you have a department store bike. In this case, you have both. Buying it from Amazon rather then Walmart doesnt make it a better bike.

Not trying to be a dick, but did you really expect a $300.00 bike to come with stainless hardware? You dont by ground beef and expect it to taste like filet mignon.
    Actually, there are stainless parts on the bike. So know before you speak.

(Psssst.... Your prejudice is showing.)

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
    Actually, there are stainless parts on the bike. So know before you speak.

(Psssst.... Your prejudice is showing.)

Actually, I have owned a couple Mongoose bikes.... Just real ones.

I get annoyed because real Mongoose bikes are no longer sold in North America because they have a stigma attached to them because of the department store low end stuff. Pretty disappointing.

mtbr member
    price is a reflection of quality
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Actually, I have owned a couple Mongoose bikes.... Just real ones.

I get annoyed because real Mongoose bikes are no longer sold in North America because they have a stigma attached to them because of the department store low end stuff. Pretty disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    price is a reflection of quality

Ok, I see where this is going. Thanks for your input, but i don't play these games.

Wife and I are going for a ride on our Mongoose Impasse and Schwin mountain bikes. And we will enjoy ourselves, see the great out doors, riding paths along the beautiful Paulenskil River, all while having spent less than $600 on bikes, and about $5000 more in our savings than people who buy high end bikes.

Good bye! Enjoy your rides! See you in other posts!

What?
    Your missing the point, no one is making fun of your bike. Just pointing out that if you buy a cheap bike, you can't complain about your bolts rusting. That's just what you get when you buy something cheap. Ride the hell our of it and be happy, just don't complain about it.

mtbr member
    ^ what he said
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown