mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well Squeaking, creaking carbon Homegrown

As I've essentially become the mechanic for my friend's carbon Sweetspot Homegrown, I'd need some help with some creaks.

When pedaling slow and hard, there are at least two creaks coming from the bike. One, I'm pretty sure, is coming from the headset, and I'll track that down. But I'm not sure where the other one is coming from. The pivot has just recently been cleaned and greased, so I don't think it's making noise. The Octalink BB and crankset were also installed with grease, teflon tape, and proper torque (higher than most people think).

Do anyone have any ideas where it might be coming from? If I need to I'll tear the whole thing down and rebuild it, but I'd prefer not to.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Sadly I can't help out here. Mine has been silent for 10 years until I took it apart this winter. I haven't yet ridden it with the new shock and crankset. I realize I posted to say I have nothing to post, but I figured you'd want to hear from the Carbon owners on here and might wonder why you hadn't.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Sorry, no help from me either. The only creaking mine made was from the crank arm. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from until it fell off during a climb. That wasn't very fun.

mtbr member
    carbon fiber will do that. it's light and strong but not as ridged as we might think it is. i remember my 4banger creaking and the swing arm flexed under tight turns contorting the swing arm enough to make the tire rub the insides. carbon fiber manufacturing back then i don't think is anything like today.
    Last edited by shwinn8; 04-26-2010 at 09:09 PM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Person
    Sep 2005
    I had a nasty squeak/creak in my 4 banger last year. After chasing it around for a while was able to determine it was only when pedaling....turns out it was the seatpost clamp. Took it apart, cleaned and greased it and all was good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    As I've essentially become the mechanic for my friend's carbon Sweetspot Homegrown, I'd need some help with some creaks.

When pedaling slow and hard, there are at least two creaks coming from the bike. One, I'm pretty sure, is coming from the headset, and I'll track that down. But I'm not sure where the other one is coming from. The pivot has just recently been cleaned and greased, so I don't think it's making noise. The Octalink BB and crankset were also installed with grease, teflon tape, and proper torque (higher than most people think).

Do anyone have any ideas where it might be coming from? If I need to I'll tear the whole thing down and rebuild it, but I'd prefer not to.
    That bike has made noise from day one. Every bike he has ever owned has been loud. Id take a good look at the peddles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ducrider45
    That bike has made noise from day one. Every bike he has ever owned has been loud. Id take a good look at the peddles.
    I've already solved the problem with a headset adjustment and a pivot overhaul.