mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New question here. Sommet: Marzocchi Roco Air R rear shock upgrade

Has anyone tried replacing the stock RST-22A coil shock of a Mongoose Pro Sommet? will a Marzocchi Air R '07 fit? are all shock's bodies standard sized? Available sizes include eye to eye is 6.50" by 1.5" travel, but would it fit on the frame as far as body diameter? I have read this frame can get Rockshox's SID XC, Fox Float R, Cane Creek Cloud Nine installed, but nothing about the Marzocchi Rocco Air R. Thanks!!!!!!

Cross Country Rider
    Jan 2007
    If the Marzocchi is the same size as the one that came with the bike it should fit with no problem, but you probably will need to get the specific spacer for the marzocchi. I think that is better that you get the shock the same size as the stock one. It depends but Rear shocks come in different sizes for different bike setups.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Albert, thank you for your reply. It is the same size, eye to eye 6.50", with 1.5" of travel. My concern is if it will fit the frame mount without rubbing into the seat tube. The body diameter seems fatter than the stock one. The other two "Hot Links" rear suspension models with the same frame and mounts (Massif and Triomphe) get the Rockshox SID XC, instead of the RST-22A. The problem I have is that no shops here carry this shock, so I can't compare dimensions. I believe I will take the risk of ordering it online, and if it does not fit, I will return it.

Cross Country Rider
    Jan 2007
    I understand what you mean, now is this the shock you are talking about or it is another one? Because this is about the same size as the RockShox SID.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by albertf15; 10-30-2007 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That WAS the one Albert. Now guess what, it's sold out on Beyond Bikes and Universal Cycles on the size I need. Therefore, I will now buy a Cane Creek Cloud Nine, which will for sure fit my bike. Plush, reliable, adjustable (preload, compression and rebound!!! I'm used to it), owner serviceable, a little bit more expensive, but also lighter, and it fits for sure!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The answer, in case someone gets into this drill: I got a Cane Creek Cloud Nine (at AEbike.com), 6.50" eye to eye, by 1.5" of travel, at $219, and they only had the 8X22 kit for the bottom for $12.99 . I got from Bikeparts.com the 8X50 kit for the top, at $25. While there, I also got a rebuild kit $23.75, a lizard skins boot to protect it, and a hi/lo pressure Planet Bike pump (19.99 at AEbike)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

frame

I also have an '02 sommett/you may want to overhaul the rear bushings before installing the shock-I noticed the HOTlink bolts are too tight for a smooth pivot.