mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Somewhat vintage Mongoose project

It's really all that vintage or collectible, but it does have sentimental value. This is my 1995 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G, that my parents bought me when i was 13 years old. It even still has my Scotts Valley, CA PD bicycle serial license for theft recovery on it, LOL

It is all original except for:

Specialized titanium 0 rise stem
    Rock Shox Judy XC Gen 2
    Aftermarket rear cantilevers (tubular shaped with kool stops)
    and the crappy torn Vetta seat

I am also going to have to replace the headset, I noticed some wobble in it. I was messing around with it and when I was backing a bolt out it sheared in half, I guess there is my answer as to why it was loose (YST 1" threadless), never done this before so I guess I'm going to leave it to a pro unless it's not that hard and someone can walk me through it.

I also noticed the rear der shifter/lever combo (LX) does not seem to work, I can shift the front der fine (rough but it works), but the rear thumbshifters just moves and nothing happens, there is no resistance or gear feeling, just free movement both ways. I'm not sure if this means the shifter is shot, or if the cable broke, if the rear der (LX) is seized or what. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anyhow just thought I would share with everyone. I just got it back after about 7 years this last weekend, surprisingly the original Panaracer tires still hold air.

John

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Might I suggest converting it into a single speed?

I'm really having to dig back into my memory, but I believe the YST headset which came on those didn't work like a normal threadless headset. The bearing cap of the headset was two parts which threaded together. The top part would clamp onto the steerer, and then the bottom part would be threaded up or down to adjust the bearing preload. Once the desired preload was achieved, it too was clamped down. An easy way to tell if it's this style headset is if top cap on top of stem is just a rubber plug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Singlespeed was kind of my overall plan. If I can't fix the shifter pod in a simple fashion, then that is what will happen.

I will check the headset tonight when I am home, what you are describing sounds a lot like it. The top of it seems pretty non-beefy to hold it all together, one allen bolt for the cable holder thing and then a smaller bolt that clamps the headset snuggly (the bolt that broke).

I already ordered an old school 1" Cane Creek threadless for it last night off eBay ($12 shipped)

John

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think you should single speed it anyway! It cheap, it's fun, and old bikes look great with only one gear.

Yup, I remember snapping one of those bolts myself.

1"? I thought those were 1.125".

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yeah, I already found that out, it is 1-1/8. I'm kicking my own ass right now, hoping the eBay guy will be cool and let me get the Ritchey he has in the right size instead. Both are the exact same price and I haven't paid yet, so I don't see why not..