CTB
    mtbr member

Some updates/welcome to the family/etc.

It's been a bit and I have some updates to the family.

First, I went a little nuts and bought a new wheelset in the interest of lighter weight. These cost less than what my theoretical build would have been and are lighter and wider than what I would have built. They are Specialized Roval Traversée EL's, which have DT Swiss hub internals, DT Swiss Pro Comp spokes with Pro-Lock hex head nipples, and a 21mm inside width for the rims. They'll be significantly lighter than what I have now (by 1.2 lb!), and I intend on converting them tubeless with Stan's. Mine were used and I have to do a little work on them, but for the price I thought it was a good move. These wheels are stupid expensive new, so that was never an option.

I also have a new member coming to the family, as shown in the last pic. I finally found a 17" HG4B to replace my 19". I'll be moving all my good parts to that frame, and then what happens after that, I don't know. I don't have the bike yet, as a friend bought it for me locally off his Craigslist (same friend who bought me the 19!), so all I know is what I gleaned from the pictures. I'll be selling off as much as I can to offset costs. I realize I could have bought a Trek Fuel EX8 for the money I have in these Bangers, but that's not nearly as fun or "personal" as hacking away on vintage gear. Since I'll be in a huge teardown anyway, I may decide to take the plunge on a new (used) crankset, headset, etc., and save some weight. We'll see.

Edit: Oops, forgot about my new grips for my birthday. I was misled by online weight estimates - they are 188g each. I thought I had verified a weight source as trustworthy based on my other grips, but it turns out their data was way incorrect. The bar end/grip combo I have now is 150g each, so this flies in the face of my weight save plan. However, the GC-3's feel nice in the hands and I like the bigger bar ends, so I'm going to keep them and use them. The bar ends are also "ergo" shaped for good gripping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some updates/welcome to the family/etc.-roval-front-s.jpg  

Some updates/welcome to the family/etc.-roval-rear-s.jpg  

Some updates/welcome to the family/etc.-bike_16.jpg  

Some updates/welcome to the family/etc.-ergon-gc-3.jpg  

Last edited by CTB; 12-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Awesome! Nice find on the 17'!!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks. It's in FedEx's hands now, so hopefully I'll see it soon and can dig in.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Let me know when you decide to sell the 19" frame. I'm very interested.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks, Andy. I've got a couple people interested (some right here on MTBR), so I'm going to do my best to keep it fair. Your interest is noted.

smell my finger
    Temptation......

CTB
    mtbr member
    The first pic makes me smile, and the second is the coolest surprise I got when I opened the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some updates/welcome to the family/etc.-dsc06484s.jpg  

Some updates/welcome to the family/etc.-dsc06485s.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member

Progress report

Disregard my laundry hanging up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some updates/welcome to the family/etc.-dsc06492.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looks to be in good nick CTB! I'll have mine finished in the next couple of weeks hopefully!

Crazy about Homegrowns
    The geometry looks so odd when those frames are bare...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I fully approve. It's really exciting that you finally found a 17", since you've been looking for so long.

What seat is that on the 17"?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Bellsy, it is in pretty good shape. After comparing the two bikes, I'd call the condition of the two about equal, each with their own areas of good and not as good.

Blue72, they do look odd, but my Sweetspot really looks more odd without the rear triangle on it.

BM, the seat is a Forte Pro Carbon SLX, if I remember right. 208g on my scale. I'm actually going to try it since it seems like a decent design. I know you can't judge a seat by its looks, but I figure I already own it, may as well try it.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the smaller frame, new wheelset, etc. I'm worried that this "swap" project might become a "spend still more money on a good headset/crankset/seatpost" project. Logical, since I have the thing completely apart...

I should have quite a list of parts for sale after this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    nice nice nice